Jahovah's Witnesses

Why is it that Johovah's Witnesses feel the need to try to push on you their lifestyle? They come to your door and they won't go away until you are rude to them. They tell you about how your living the wrong lifestyle and ASSUME you are Christian. I am in fact Christian and I do agree with most of what I have read from them. I also understand they want to save souls and spread the word of God. But they are going about it all wrong imo. I have actually had one tell me that my son (who has passed away) DESERVED to die because of the original sin (they knew who we were). How rude can you be to tell a mother something like that?

I often ask myself if they think of their children when they go back to school and other kids are talking about all the fun toys they got for Christmas. When they are young, children are not going to understand why other kids get presents and they dont. My aunt is A JW and she says its not fair.

hostlerak

Asked by hostlerak at 8:59 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• we go door to door as a command from the bible and following Jesus footsteps as best as we can. Like I said before not everyone is the same. If someone tells me not to come back, I dont, If they dont even want me to start, I tell them to have a good day and be on my way. But we do have to continue.

my toddlers pre school is having a Halloween parade, that day he will be with me and we'll spend the day at gymboree, chuck e. cheese and the library one of his favorite spots, he wont be missing out. You know, i guess it just depends on the kid, my cousins never had any issues with not going to holiday parties even at school, my niece and nephews also grew up fine and happy, they are now married and raising their kids the same way.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• From everthing I've read about JW, including their website and literature, I actually have compassion for them. They have been mislead. One came to my door yesterday while I was out and left their literature. One of the things I read when researching their beliefs is that when people are rude to them, they aren't discouraged because the are being persecuted like Christ. However, this is true for all Chirstians. If you are Christian you are called to witness. In the bible Jesus states this in the Great Commission. He also said we'd be persecuted and made fools because of him. So, even though I firmly disagree with their teachings and beliefs, we Christians could learn a lot form them, and the Mormons as well (who I also firmly disagree with). At least they are witnessing. I look forward to being here when one comes by again (I think it's a woman). Though some may be rude, I chose to treat everyone with respect.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:35 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• JEHOVAS Witnesses is a fairly NEW denomination,created by a guy named Charles Taze Russell in 1870. I am always suspicious of NEW religions because they seem to be based on the offshoot creator's own agenda.Same with Mormons. Joseph Smith fell asleep in the woods of New York State one day, woke up and decided to construct a story about the "plates" with writings on them and created a brand new "religion". Yah,right.
    ....I Googled the information about Jehovas WItness. I learned about Mormons from my brother and his family. And dozens of books they gave me..
    I am not happy wth any religious groups that send their members out going door to door insisting that THEY are the only correct church. SO, I understand how you feel. I just tell them I am secure in my own faith and that it will be a waste of their time to talk with me.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Well I can speak from experince here. I grew up as a JW. When I was young and in school I did not feel as tho I was missing out on anything. My Mom would have little get togethers and would give us gifts once in a while so we did not feel left out. But now that I am all grown with children of my own I see how much I missed out on. So now that I am no longer a witness I try to do things for my kids. My older son (Joseph is 6 1/2) his Dad is still a JW so I have to be a little sneakier in giving him gifts and I can't do Halloween. With my younger son (Alex 2 1/2) I can do more things with him in fact for Halloween he is going to be a Dinosaur its a very cute costume. If you want to avoid the JW's tell them you do not want to be called on at your home and if you really don't want them tell them to mark your address as a DO NOT CALL on the territory card .
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 10:58 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Why do other "Christians" feel the need to talk badly about other denominations? I think it's very sad, and un-Christian to talk about a fellow Christian in such a way as some of you are.

All of the JW's who have ever come to my door have been very pleasant and never pushed anything on me. I politely listened for a minute, and then explained that I have my beliefs and I do not want to leave my church. They don't come back, unless I move to a new area, then I get new people at my door. I have a great deal of respect for people who live their faith so fully and completely.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I had some that came to my door that were really cool. They never "pushed" anything. We would sit & discuss different religions in a friendly manner & she was very interested in learning about them. We actually became good friends.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I agree that I don't like the way they go door to door.

My daughter has some friends who are JW's and I talk to their moms often. They have other gift giving occassions. It won't be on Christmas and it won't be wrapped up in red and green paper, but they do special things for their kids too. As hard as it is for their kids to not understand why they don't celebrate Christmas, it's just as hard explaining it to your own child. I just tell my kids that if you don't believe, you don't get gifts. They don't believe in Christmas, so they don't get gifts.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:06 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I have had some pretty rude ones come to my door too !

I was lucky last time because I had 3 screaming toddlers follow me to the door so they just left me a booklet ( that I threw away)...

I remember being in school with a boy who was a jw ... He was so funny ( the class clown) and I remember once when we had a sub. teacher and we were to stand for the plegde of aligence, and he didnt stand and he got in trouble by the sub. ( who of course thought he was lying about being a jw ) .... but it was kind of sad because when we would have our class christmas or birthday parties he had to sit in the hall...
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:08 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I often ask myself if they think of their children when they go back to school and other kids are talking about all the fun toys they got for Christmas.

I'm a JW and when my daughter was younger, christmas gifts wasnt an issue. We give her gifts throughout the year, not just on a particular day, trust me, she's not missing out. She's a teenager now and she is still fine with it. I think of my children just like every other loving parent. My kids are happy, healthy and love God and that's what important to me.

I have actually had one tell me that my son (who has passed away) DESERVED to die because of the original sin (they knew who we were.

Ok, that's awful. I'd never tell anyone that. Please realize that not everyone is the same. That is more of a personality issue. There is a brother that i wont go door to door with because of his personality, he comes off as too strong.

proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I dont know why they are persistant. If you ever talk with them its like a plague thats why they have such a bad rep. not because the spread of the gospel but its the way they go about it. I ask them if they are American. Citizens of the United States. Do they beleive in our constitutional rights of freedom. If they answer yes (of course they are) then I gently explain that they are encroaching upon my American rights of freedom for Religious choice. I appreciated what they are trying to do but "IF" I when I want to go to church I go to the church of my choice, otherwise they are violating my Rights. You dont violate theirs so please return to your own church. A had a friend who had a sign on her door that read "This is my home. It is NOT a business, so please do NOT bring you business to my home". Isnt that a great sign? LOL!
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 9:12 AM on Oct. 21, 2010