Lent in public school is wrong!

Lent in schools is wrong when other children's religions (such as Jewish, Muslim, etc.) are not being taken into consideration at lunch. In my school they served fish on Fridays for the Catholic kids, but they never served any other form of meat for the other students. If you did not eat fish you were not offered another meat, you got pb and j or mac-n-cheese. These are not proper lunches in my opinion and it also very unfair. I felt as if MY religious rights were being violated because I was being forced to turn down meat. I feel bad for the school when my kids go to school. My children are to have a proper meal and if they do not want or like fish there better be another meat option available. My child should not be forced to pack a lunch either because the school does not want to accomodate for non Catholics. How do you feel about the schools not offering another form of meat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Religious Debate

• should the school have to accomidate every child who doesn't like a particular food? If you know your child won't eat what the school is serving that day, then be proactive and pack a lunch?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Serving fish on Fridays is not exclusionary, nor is it promoting religion. It's just offering fish. Your opinion of what constitutes a "proper lunch" is not shared by everyone.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:18 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Sorry--I can't back you up here. We're vegetarian, and except for the days that the school serves pizza, there are no vegetarian options other than PB&J--ever. I'd be glad if they did away with all of the meat dishes--it's kind of gross to think about decaying meat sitting around until lunch time when it's served up in a *splat!* on the kids trays. But, that's just me, I suppose, and I can't expect the school to change what it serves based on my beliefs and preferences for my children's diets.

By the way--my younger child who has autism does not ever buy her lunch in the cafeteria. I pack her lunch every day because I'm afraid that she would inadvertently choose a non-meat option and suffer for it (if one doesn't eat meat, the digestive track isn't prepared to break it down and can cause some intestinal distress).

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:20 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Lent lasts 40 days. You divide that by 7, and you get approximately 6 days. That means the school serves fish for 6 Fridays in a row. THIS IS CERTAINLY A CRISIS.

Seriously, just pack a lunch those 6 Fridays. Or you could...you know, encourage your kids to try the fish.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:26 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think that fish is a very acceptable form of protein. My kids school always offers two options, but there are days every once in a while when they don't like either option, so he eat a pb&j. I guess I don't see what the big deal is? It's not like it's against the Jewish or Muslim religions to eat fish, maybe the school is just trying to accomodate the largest amount of students without leaving anyone out?

Answer by missanc at 9:13 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Wow - that's a lot of animosity.

I agree that school lunches shouldn't be designed to accomodate the religious practices of a few children. I don't understand how your religious rights are being violated because you (or your kids) weren't offered a piece of meat over the course of 6 hours, but okay (are there religions that require meat consumption on that regular of a basis?).

As to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich not being a "proper meal" - it's what I pack for my kids every day because they don't like the hot meals served at school, with the exception of pizza day. Hasn't seemed to harm them yet.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:18 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• maybe its just "fish fridays" why do you think its about lent? why does it have to be tied do religion? i agree, if they don't like fish, pbj or mac n chs then pack something
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I felt as if MY religious rights were being violated because I was being forced to turn down meat.

What religion are you that requires you to eat meat every day? Not eating meat is a sin? I don't get it. We have 3 options at every lunch plus we have Whole Foods deliver Vegan meals. If you want to get involved, you could research lunch programs in other areas and work to get more than one choice on the menu each day.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• omg..really? is that all you have to complain about today with our public schools? wouldn't it be great if that were the only thing 'wrong'??

pick your battles, op. this one is useless and stupid. violated rights?? ok...and here i thought we were more worried about bullying, education, and parent involvement. fish on fridays does nothing to you or your kids. its a protein, and if they don't like fish, pack a lunch they do like. it would save you money in the long run, right?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• well seeing as its not Lent right now...i doubt the school is having fish on Fridays just for the Catholics. but even if it is the reason (some Catholics eat fish on Fridays all year round), fish is a good option. shoot, my fav lunch day at school was fish sticks and mac and cheese! the menu is gonna have fish on it...so get a menu from the school and know ahead of time and prepare a lunch for your kids...thats what most parents do!

also, ask yourself...would you be so upset if your kids liked fish?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2010