Did you Get your 2 week supply of freeze dried food for the next 9/11?

Glenn Beck is so certain that the socialist-led apocalypse is nigh, that he is now endorsing for foodinsurance.com, a website that sells disaster prep kits for when the next 9/11 hits. Timeoutlines what the Emergency Plus Kit comprises, including a cooking tin and two-week food supply of "delicious" freeze-dried food.The price of peace of mind in this ever-changing and increasingly dangerous world? $249.99. And, according Beck, those "delicious" freeze-dried meals are good enough for him to eat now. Hey, the world is in a constant state of emergency anyway. As Time points out, a fearmongerer who also hawks disaster-related products may not be tasteful, but it's certainly delicious.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:16 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL no but I'd trust what feeds the military before I'd trust anything Beck says is agood deal! The last time my husband watched him and I was walking through the room he had on a apron and was ranting about pies for some reason or other. I was like "How about that a fruitcake screaming about pie."
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 2:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Actually, I have a food supply that would last a year or more...have had since LONG before 9/11. I was very influenced by grandparents that grew up in the Great Depression. LOL

Truthfully, everyone needs at least a couple of weeks of emergency supplies on hand. People have found themselves in serious trouble after natural disasters. I am not saying we should run out and spend $200 bucks on "delicious" freeze dried meals, but we should all have a stash.

I am not going to knock the product he is hawking because I think it is made in the US....and that means somebody is getting a paycheck! There are certainly worse things you could spend your money on.

BTW sweet, I didn't know you followed Beck! Boy, you learn something new everyday!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:39 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Pretty bizarre to advertise. But nothing new... We were in hurricane Isabel and am grateful for the 2 week supply of food, $$ cash, gas cans, generator, etc that my husband put together. We had no power for 9 days. Atms were out for 3 days. Then we moved to Ohio and whatayaknow~ Hurricane Ike came up to Ohio and we lost power for 6 days... Soooooooo, emergencies happen.. I am glad to have a hubby who is prepared and doesn't laugh it off...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:35 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• You know, politics aside, this might not be a bad idea - NOT to be prepared for the next Sept 11 or anything like that. But for things like earthquakes, hurricane supplies, etc. We move a lot and have lived all over the world, and every place we've lived there's some sort of natural disaster that is common (many of them that have occurred while we were there - apparently we have very bad luck, weather wise lol). Each and every place has had recommendations for some sort of disaster preparedness kit, and every one of them has said that you should have aprox a week's worth of non perishable food and water.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:36 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Exactly sailor and yourspecial.... Better to be safe than sorry. And believe there were MANY people who were NOT prepared for the power outages, lack of ATM's, banks and groceries being closed, etc... While, I think it is foolish to spend that money(Becks sponsor), it is meant for people who don't want to or have the time to put together a "kit" on their own... It's a matter of convenience. There is nothing wrong in a free market, advertising a service... IF people pay for it, then kudos to them... Most people can make their own kit... BUt I have to wonder how many are NOT prepared.... I bet at the moment of an emergency, they will be crying for help because they were not responsible enough to plan ahead... tsk tsk..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Not saying that I would spend that much buying one - lol - I put my own kits together for much less than that, but still, I'm just saying - not as stupid an idea as people might think at first. Because, as the pp said - you get to be very thankful for those kits when you need them (speaking as someone who has needed them on more than one occasion, to some degree or another).
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:37 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It is good to be ready for any disaster.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Beck profits highly by people like you by keeping fear and hate alive.

How does Beck profit off of me?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Well said YSK

I am somewhat prepared for a disaster but I could do better and will...I won' be buying one of these kits but for some folks it could be ideal.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:47 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I keep food on hand. I'm not sure civilian MRE's are the way to go, but there's a lot to be said about being prepared. Personally, I've never had a good MRE. My dad used to bring them home because he got three a day when he was in the field. yuck.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:59 AM on Oct. 21, 2010