breastfeeding please help! In tears not sure what to do.

My son is 2 1/2 months old. He is getting 10oz of formula a day b/c hes not getting enough milk with nursing ( when I try nursing only he only makes 3 wet diapers a day) So I strarted with small bottles until he gets a 5oz bottle in the mrning and a 5oz bottle at night. it has been working. I dont want to use formula AT ALL but im not going to starve my son. Now the past few days his diaper count is going back down. I dont know what else I can do. I nurse on demand wich is every 45 mins for him. He gets so mad in the pm before that bottle and his tummy just growls when that bottle hits his mouth. I cant pump ANYTHING even with a hospital grade pump. Ive done the fenagreek (upsets his tummy and still does get anymore milk) I do the mothers milk tea and that doesnt seem to be helping now. i'm afriad if I add anymore bottles then I might dry up completely but my baby is miserable. I eat the oatmeal and drinks water all day too.

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 9:22 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are you nursing before offering the bottle?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• yes
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 9:27 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• How wet are the wets?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Honestly, at this point, since you say that his wet diapers are going back down with formula feeding as well, I would talk to the Dr. Because, and I don't mean this to scare you or anything, but maybe the problem isn't with your milk supply... He might have some digestive issues going on.

I hope not, but I would talk to him / her and see, just to be safe.

good luck!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Have you tried a supplemental nursing system? Call your local La Leche League or hospital lactation consultant and see if they can help you get one. I had to use one with my 4th because there were some issues with my milk coming in. It's a tube that you attach via tape to the end of your nipple before you bfeed. In the end of the tube you put the formula, but they are at the breast stimulating your milk production but still getting the nutrition/amount they need plus getting whatever little amount of breastmilk you are producing. I could never get much out of a pump either, but after a few weeks of using the SNS I was able to successfully breastfeed him for 10 months. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 9:35 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• See a lactation consultant about things you can do. But ask around and make sure they're good and won't scare you with "omg you're evil for feeding formula to your child" which is the last thing you need from someone helping you through this.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:39 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Ive been to doc and shes not very helpful with the bfing. But she checked him out and everything is fine. his diapers are always the same wetness just different amounts of diapers depending on if I only nurse or if I use formula also.
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm trying to get ahold of the lactation con. Ithat helped me in the beginig with his latch. I was having issues then too. My milk supply didnt come in until he was 2wks and I had to use formula from the start. We weaned him off but then started having issues witht he diaper count
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Join the breastfeeding moms group. Your issue is to complex for the answers section and there are a lot more seasoned breastfeeders there who have gone through issues who can better give advice. http://www.cafemom.com/group/325
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:20 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I posted this question on there too. I figured any thing might help
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2010