How do I winterize my small raised veggie garden?

I have a small raised veggie garden (4' x 8') that I am hoping to winterize my next weekend off but I'm not sure how to do it? It's about 1.5' deep and I grew corn, tomatoes, peppers and broccoli in it. Do I need to do anything more then remove the dead plants? Should I fertilize it or cover it with mulch or newspaper?

ValerieRNmom

Asked by ValerieRNmom at 9:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• that would depend on how much work you want in the spring. If it were me I would pull out all the dead plants and put a good weed killer on it while it is sunny and warm for a day or two, and then put some potash on top about 1 inch thick and cover with a large plastic tarp. Next spring just uncover and turn under the potash, you should be weedfree and the soil still loose.
    Personally, I would not use newspaper because it breaks up during winter and blows away in storms. Mulch will only be a waste of money when you turn all the soil back under in the spring. Unless of course, you brush it all off to reuse. Use only a fertilizer for root growth during the winter, fireplace ash can be disposed of on your garden all winter and it's free!!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:22 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We like to just cover the beds with grass clippings/mulched leaves. I would wait until you plant in the spring to put newspaper down. I wouldn't put tarp down because it blocks out sun/birds/bugs that help give your garden nutrients, but that's just me.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 11:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2010