You might not think it matters

but it does! I was talking to a preschool teacher the other day and she said it drives her crazy when the parents are on the phone when they pick up their kids. It doesn't matter what age the kids are. The kids are gone all day and need to be greated with a smile, a hug and our undivided attention. We aren't in the day and age when we have warm baked goodies for them when they get home but our full attention is what they really need!!

It is something so simple but means so much to the kids!!

Are you guilty of this? Can you make an effort to hang up the phone and spend time after school giving your child undivided attention?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No I make it a point not to be on the phone during times like this! I feel it is rude. What is so dang important it cant wait another 10 minutes?!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I try not to be on the phone, I don't have to get out of the car to pick up my son, so sometimes I am on the phone when I am waiting, so it happens.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I am SOOOO glad you posted this! You are 100% right! I just dropped my Son off at Preschool and there are two flights of stairs to walk up and a Mom was walking up in front of her 3 year old Daughter and Texting!! The poor little thing was climbing up the stairs herself and I was mortified!! I also recently went on the School field trip and a few of the Moms were texting the whole time!! WTH!!! Can everyone just STOP texting & talking on the phone to enjoy a little special time with their child?? I have to say that People are so wrapped up in themselves today that it is just atrocious!! I try to appreciate every minute I have with my Son since time passes by so fast. I want him to have wonderful memories from his childhood not memories of me ignoring him.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:42 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I dont even think people realize what they are doing. It is always so busy and moms are trying to get alot done. I can't say I'm not guilty of it. Getting the kids in the car after school isnt the only point of picking them up. That time means so much more to the kids and they need to be greeted and have time to share their day! My dd is 8 and she loves talking about her day in the car ride home.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I AGREE!
    I think that we should turn off our phones and other electronic devices when interacting with anyone. I don't care if you conversate with the cashier, but get off your blasted phone so that if she has a question or something to tell you she can do so. People are soo involved in electronic devices these days, that it's become an escape from reality. Seriously, hang up!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Yea I use to be so happy to see them and they would be excited to tell me about thier day you are missing out on something special.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• This is a great reminder to us parents to take a minute and remember how much just the act of giving our kids our full attention can really make a difference. It is an easy fact to lose sight of in the hustle and bustle of everyday life and sometimes a reminder is needed.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• well being that we in my neighborhood are military familes, not always! If someone's husband calls from Afghanastan, that may be the only chance they have to talk to him for weeks! So, it really deoends on the situation!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• JoLee..I completely understand that circumstance and that would be completely acceptible. In fact, if that happened I think the child would be excited as well to be able to talk to daddy or mommy. However, in MOST circumstances it's not the case. And it's just not at these places. It's hard to even go out with a friend or a double date without someone texting someone else the whole time. I think it's very rude behavior. I think cell phones are great and all, but why do we need to be available immediately, all the time.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 2:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• kittieashy, I understand that too! Any other situation oher than military/ emergency you realy shouldnt be on your phone! I walk to get mine every day, and never even bring my phone..lol In fact i dont have my phon ever unless DH is deployed/training, or I am in the car, I guess it is kind of a waste of a phone plan...lol
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2010