15 Month old and talking

I took my son to his 15 month appt the other day and I brought up talking. My son says only a few things Pop (Puffs), Mama, and Dada and says those occasionally. What kinds of things should I be doing to promote more talking- I've been saying the word a few times before doing it: Ex) Up, Up, Up, then pick him up. Down, Down, Down, put him down....what is everyone else doing? I feel like I should be doing more or something so he learns. I read to him everyday- like 4-5 books or more and we talk and sing songs. Thanks!

kh717

Asked by kh717 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just keep doing what you're doing. Not all kids talk till a later age. As long as you keep working with him, he'll catch on.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My son is 15 months old too. He only says a few things too- but its normal. All babies grow and develop at their own pace. Also the more you work with them the more of an opportunity it will give for them to learn. I work A LOT with my son with the "your baby can read" program, and I'm always pointing at things and telling him what they are and then asking him where is this and where is that and if he looks at the object or points at it I praise him and he starts clapping his hands too =) Then I always ask him if he can say it. For example in the kitchen I point to everything and tell him, this is the refrigerator, stove, sink, ect. then I ask him where's the sink? wheres the stove? and then I ask him, can you say sink? say sink. haha. even if he tries just a little bit i praise him. Teaching him animal sounds may be a good start to vocalizing words too...
    Miss_Angela

Answer by Miss_Angela at 1:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I honestly just talk to him and tell him everything I am doing. Anytime I get my DS a snack or drink I tell him what it is, while playing I say the color and type of toy. Basically I narrate everything for him. You're doing good, they all learn at differrent rates.
    ianconnor

Answer by ianconnor at 1:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Thanks ladies! My doc had me worried, she was already talking about an interventionist coming in to evaluate him. i thought that was excessive, but it seems like i'm doing okay.
    kh717

Comment by kh717 (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I wouldnt consider intervention until later, especailly if he understands alot of what you are saying. They want them saying 10 words at 18 months and hes got a ways to go until then. He may hit a huge spurt in speech. My so has always had a good vocab but in the last 2 weeks (hell be 16 months on wednesday) he has picked up like a word every 2 days. Your son may do the same thing too!!! Just keep reading and talking. Thats what i do. The last time i counted my son was at 28 words, so hes above that by now :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2010