It's been 3 days since my last cig...

Hubby and I are quitting. He also has been without for 3 days. But he has developed a nasty cough in the morning. Could this be from quitting and his lungs are healing? Or a side effect from the patch?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 10:08 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Health

• I quit almost 4 years ago now and altho I didnt use the patch I did develop a nasty cough for awhile after. My throat felt weird too. I think its just his body adjusting and trying to figure out how to make it thru this change. Congrats to both of you and good luck!
    1lv2stks3nlz4ev

Answer by 1lv2stks3nlz4ev at 10:19 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't know why he's having the cough. But it's great that you two decided to quit. My husband and my mother both quit cold turkey and haven't had the urge to start again. It's been wonderful not smelling the stinky smoke on them. Even the smell of it makes them sick now. It's wonderful. Good luck!!
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• congratulations! i don't think its a side-effect of the patch. it could just be the weather change, too.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:10 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• congrates. i know this is so hard. good luck.
    hlmommy

Answer by hlmommy at 10:12 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Yeah, he did say his throat felt funny too. Thank you and Congrats to you! You give me hope.
    mamaada

Comment by mamaada (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Oh I am so happy for you and your decision to quit smoking! I am not sure about the cough bu tkeep up the good work!
    sarahjane0721

Answer by sarahjane0721 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Congrats and good luck! I agree, could be just a change in the weather.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:12 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't know about the cough, but I just want to say....keep going.....we lost 3 loved ones to lung cancer in a 2 month period of 2008, we have a friend with cancer in his lungs and spine right now, and last night the 44 year old tow truck driver who towed our car home told us that his wife is pregnant with his first child, and he's fighting cancer......all smokers.

I've never smoked, so I can't say I know how it feels, I've heard it's very difficult to quit, but I can tell you as the daughter of a smoker, and mother of a smoker (28 year old son) quitting is the most loving thing you can do for your family.

Good Luck!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:55 AM on Oct. 21, 2010