FIRED for THAT!??

Welcome to the land of lost common sense and PC lolipops abound.
Juan Williams, a well-known political pundit and author, was fired by National Public Radio late Wednesday after he said on Fox News that he was often nervous when boarding a plane with people who are dressed in "Muslim garb," according to The New York Times. NPR said in a statement it had given Williams notice of his termination Wednesday night.

Williams, who is also a Fox News political analyst, appeared on the “The O’Reilly Factor” on Monday. The show’s host, Bill O’Reilly, asked him whether the United States was facing a “Muslim dilemma.”

“The cold truth is that in the world today jihad, aided and abetted by some Muslim nations, is the biggest threat on the planet,” O’Reilly said.

Williams then said he agreed with O’Reilly.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/juan-williams-fired-npr/2010/10/20/id/374353

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 10:08 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• yeah, i'd agree. its a stupid reason, but unfortunately, we are seeing a lot of it lately. its like 'we' (americans) are afraid of offending other countries. big deal! some of them have offended us.
    he didn't say anything that a lot of people feel themselves. they are just afraid to voice it..and this is the reason. so much for freedom of speech!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• What he said about Muslims wearing their 'garb' was CLEARLY his personal opinion and his reaction. He was being HONEST about how he felt when he saw that on a plane. We will NEVER be able to have discussions about this and other hot topics if people aren't allowed to be honest about their fears. Was he supposed to LIE???
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.”

Many, many people would get nervous and that is their well-founded right to do so and really no one else's business.

People who have a problem with it are stupid.

Period.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think that people in this country are way to sensitve about things. No one can talk anymore because of the risk of offending someone. I think that it's time we just agree to disagree on some issues.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 10:26 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't think there was any discrimination involved. I don't think he was being offensive either. He didn't call them "rag heads" did he? He gave an honest answer to an honest question.

I am thinking he will have no trouble getting another gig somewhere else though. I would hire him!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Here is a black man that is very smart and a great example of young men. And then they go and fire him for saying how he feels. STUPID!!!!!!
    Well let me tell you, I fly a lot and do see people get nervous when when they see a Muslim boarding a plane. It also happen after WWll It is called normal.

How many out there see someone speaking Spanish think they are illegal?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I agree with you and the other commenter who posted that he was saying what others are afraid to say. Please don't tell me that all you who think he was being "discriminatroy" have not EVER felt nervous when at the airport, or any other area where you don't know anyone or their intentions. It has nothing to do with being discriminatory or racist. It has to do with the things we see and hear about. IMO, I don't necessarily get nervous when I see muslims at the airport, I'm just nervous period because ANYONE can be a terrorist. My solution is to pray and to know that God is with me always.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:57 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• He spoke his opinion and was fired from his job as an opinionated commentator..... Interesting...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I get a little nervous too!
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Any time you put a symbol out there to identify yourself with, you are putting that symbol before yourself. Makes no different if I see a priest, I don't see the man but a priest. If I see cop, I don't see the man in the uniform. What matters is what he represents and not who he is. Same with Muslims, Jews, and anyone in religious garb. I see them as representations of their religion, not as the individual. It's the first information communicated, and therefore the most important to be communicated without speaking and just by a look. This is the power of a uniform.

The whole political correctness is going too far. I see this is going to be constructed as nothing more than another case of censorship and coercion. Which it well may be. But if he violated the terms of his contract with NPR, then they would be within their rights to fire him.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2010