Maytag dryer suddenly stopped drying?

Has anybody managed to fix this on your own or is a call to the repair man inevitable?

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 10:16 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• have you cleaned out the lint traps? is the dryer coil still attached?
    is it running, but not drying? is the room steamy? perhaps your dryer coil came unattached, or has a hole in it. they are easy to replace, if that's the reason.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:20 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Yes, had it happen with our Maytag. The good news is there are some free websites that have trouble shooting and directions on how to fix it. Just google it (I don't have it bookmarked, but probably should). We were able to fix our ourselves. For us, it was a sensor. We had to take the front cover off and flip the sensor on and off and it started working again. Another time our belt broke and the drum stopped turning. There were even directions on how to do that and we did that ourselves too.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'd check the lint trap too. I think they have a heat sensor that stops if it's going to overheat. Also check to make sure the plug didn't fall out of the socket.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• If it's gas, maybe the pilot light is not going on?? I think you'll have to call the repair man :( They just don't make things like they used to.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:46 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It could be a clogged pipe or a clogged vent.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:55 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• it could be the thermostat......hubby fixes our appliances all the time, washer,dryer,icemaker....military /handyman.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 11:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Sounds like your thermostat or heater coil are out.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• slw123 is so on! That happened to us a few times too, luckily we had a friend who's dad fixed it for us. Our little sensor guy just got very loose the second time so we had to order a new one.
    mochamomof3

Answer by mochamomof3 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My maytag did this...it was a 30 dollar ignitor that my boyfriend of like 3 days replaced for me. 9 years we are still together..I knew he was a keeper lol.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:43 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Lint trap is clean. Laundry room isn't steamy at all. The dryer is turning on and making all the proper dryer noises but just not drying. Coil is attached =(
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Oct. 21, 2010