Is it just me or did anyone think "butter milk" would be like sweet creamy milk with a buttery taste, or am i just dumb?

LOL i got some for a recipe, i tried it out of curiosity.. it was sooo unholy disgusting

KKline

Asked by KKline at 10:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I love buttermilk! Yum. And yeah, I never thought it would be sweet and buttery.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• if your dumb i must be i just saw your question and tried making some myself ewwww it was disgusting so if your dumb hun im just as bad lol xx
    KAT1991

Answer by KAT1991 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• LOL!!!!! glad im not alone!! LOL
    KKline

Comment by KKline (original poster) at 10:27 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• lol, I also thought vanilly extract would taste, well like vanilla! That stuff is nasty too
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:27 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I grew up on a farm and helped my grandma make butter, so I knew what buttermilk was, but you're not dumb just because you weren't familiar with it. Next time, if you have to buy something for a recipe that you're not familiar with, google it, and it will give you the information you need. My grandpa always used to crumble up cornbread into a glass of milk and eat it after he finished dinner. He called it his dessert, but I was never fond of it that way. I wanted something sweet for dessert.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:28 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Ok. I've been cooking since I was a kid, so I learned pretty quick what buttermilk was. But I do remember wondering why in the world they would call it buttermilk when it tastes nothing like butter or milk. False advertisement anyone! lol And although I cannot stand the way it tastes straight, I love cooking with it and I love the way it smells.
    Crystal750

Answer by Crystal750 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My mom bought it a lot when I was younger, for baking, but I just realized I never saw it, she did all her baking while we were in school! So yeah, I guess I thought it was thicker too, but then when I made my own butter it was very thin, clear, not thick & creamy at all! More like butter water, lol! (And no, I had never bought it before, just made butter and found out that the liquid could be saved and used in baking because it was buttermilk!). So no, it's not just you!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• LOL! Ya know, I've never actually used that in recipes that called for it. I've always just used milk and left it at that.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:35 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think that the Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch dip mix, is the best ever! Thats the only time I buy buttermilk. It is a great dip for veggies. I usually only use it around the holidays and its always gone, from the stores shelves by mid December. You can find it next to the regular salad dressings.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My Mom also used to crumble up cornbread and pour buttermilk over it to eat...
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 10:58 AM on Oct. 21, 2010