as parents, aren't we allowed to make mistakes?

my mom still harps about the fact my husband spanked our daughter when she was 2 for pooping in her pants. she is 4 now. mind you, i wasnt home when it happened and when i found out i was upset because i dont believe in spanking, so it was the one and only time he spanked her. but neither of us knew its bad to spank them for that reason, but now that we know the reasons you should never spank for a potty accident we won't make the mistake again when our other 2 potty train. so we're both stupid for not knowing this? is every parent in the world suppose to be programmed to know everything about parenting? isn't the point of making mistakes learning from them so you don't make the same mistake again? im sure all of us at one point have made a mistake with our children that we learned wasn't the right move.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• We're not perfect. We're bound to make mistakes at some point. I know I've made some mistakes when it comes to parenting my daughter and you know what? I've learned from them and moved on. I won't make the same mistake twice. Parenting is hard, especially when it's your first child and you've never been exposed to children before. You have to learn from the things you do. I would tell my mom to mind her own damn business. She shouldn't dwell on that, it was years ago! Let the past go and move forward.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• parents are humans and we all make mistakes. yes the point is learning from them. I would ask my mom how long she is going to beat the dead horse. Dont let her get to you!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Your mom needs to mind her own business! It's over and done with. She needs to let it go.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Your mom has no reason to be bringing that up over and over again. If it was still a hot issue it should be you that's harping about it, since it's your husband and your child. However, you clearly understood it was a one time mistake. Your mother needs to learn how to remove herself from a situation she doesn't belong in. Especially since it was two years ago. We all make mistakes, hopefully nothing severe, but we all do. It's human nature. Nobody knows everything right off the bat and it's impossible to learn without making a mistake.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• All parents make mistakes!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• She knows first hand how easy it is to make a mistake raising your child. My guess is she has some guilt issues about a mistake or two SHE made with YOU.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• IMO her job as a parent to you isn't over either. And her continually bring up your dhs "mistakes" is a mistake of her own. Putting a strain on her relationship with you. Maybe she should be reminded of that.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 11:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think all mom's seem to make comments once they've been throw things because THEY know better lol!! yes, we all make mistakes - we all LEARN from those mistakes and keep moving forward.. don't let her make those comments to you - sit down with her once and for all to let her know its not ok to bring it up anymore GL
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Honestly, this does not sound like a major mistake to me. If I were you I would tell her flat out to get over it.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think making mistakes is somewhere in the REAL definition of being a parent. Tell ur mom to MYOB!
    ValerieRNmom

Answer by ValerieRNmom at 11:02 AM on Oct. 21, 2010