What do you think???? on Potty Training or getting rid of the pacifer? HELP

my son is 16 months old and every one keeps telling me he needs to be on the toilet..or when you going to start puting him on the toilet so my question is when is it a good time to start Potty Traning your child.....another problem is his binky how do i get him off of that i want him to talk more and i feel like the binky is in the way of his talking and eating.... my aunt says that i should give him some time since i took the bottle away too early....any moms want to help me with this problem i will try anything right now......

1st_Tyme

Asked by 1st_Tyme at 12:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• taking them off the bottle early is great! (i'm talking about the bottle, not breastmilk or formula. as long as they're getting that by drinking it out of a cup or something, taking them off the bottle early is great) as for the binky, my son is 19 months and still gets his, but the only thing is he is NOT allowed to have it during the day, it's only for bed time. it's been like that since he was one. you can start that and then from there wean him off of the binky. dentists say the latest they should have one is the age of 2....after that it's bad for their teeth. as for potty training, go ahead and start now. they're saying that kids are getting potty trained later in life these days cuz moms are just to lazy to do it, or just too busy. but the best time to potty train is between the ages of 18-24 months. (continued)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• how to start- buy a potty chair, have him help you open it, make a HUGE deal out of it, that he's a big boy now and should go on the big boy potty, and try to get him to sit on it after you assemble it.. sing a song while he's on the potty, something about big boys going pee pee in the potty, along with little finger songs, read him books, ect. to start out, put him on it when he wakes up, before lunch, after lunch, before nap, after nap, after dinner and before bed. then gradually, if you have the time, try to get him on it every hour. get a timer, and set it for every hour, and then every time it goes off, make a big deal that it's "POTTY TIME!" if you have more time on your hands, you can go from every hour to every 20-30 minutes. make sure you have a treat, like a mini marshmellow for when he does go. 1 marshmellow for pee pee, 2 marshmellows for going poo poo. GL!
    armywife43

• when he shows interest in the potty and can communicate that he needs to go. as fo the pacifier, i jsut took it away form DD, she cried for a couple days and forgot about it.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 12:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i have two boys 4 and 2. my 4 yr old just recently became fully potty trained. boys you cant rush. i know MANY women that have boys, and they all said that it takes that long. (even my mom and her friends. sooo we're not all lazy...) so wait until he is interested in it and then encourage him!
    As for the paci, I just took it away from my 2 yr old. he was 18 months, and i just took it away. after a week of hard bedtimes, he was fine. it takes being strong and listening to crying for a little bit, but its worth it. good luck!
    AliciaO

Answer by AliciaO at 1:41 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• you'll know when its time to put your kid on the toilet. there is no specific time. i think i started at closer to 2 w my 2nd..shes 2 1/2 now and has been sitting on the pot for a few months now, but is not potty trained..i took the bottle and the binky away from my older daughter at 10 months..cold turkey is the way to do it..they'll be fine after a couple of days..just dont give into the crying. it Will stop..same w my 2nd daughter..i also took the bottle away at 10 months.. i didnt have to deal w the binky becuase she decided at a few weeks she didnt like it...

also..try buying potty DVD's for your lil one to watch..thats what incuraged my little ones.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:15 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• also..their teeth dont just start going bad after 2..its as soon as they get teeth that you should take it away becuase it can rot them.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:18 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I wouldn't worry too much about pottying at 16m, honestly. Don't let other people push you into potty training. Let your son cue that lesson. When he begins to show an interest in the potty and seems to be aware of his bodily functions, then you could consider potty training. Try a potty chair or a potty seat that fits into the big potty. Make a big deal about success but don't punish him for accidents. (We don't consider them failures around here.) And as far as the bink is concerned, I'd do the paci-faery idea.. Or knock it down to comfort times (ie- fall down) and bedtime, then only bedtime, then not at all. Good luck!!
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 9:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Binky first.

I would guess that the "everyone" who is pressuring you to potty train is older... your parents or your in-laws. At 16 months, your son MAY be able to control his bladder and bowels. Is he old enough to recognize he has to go, stop playing, get to the potty, work his clothes, use the potty, redo his clothes, flush, wash his hands, go back to playing - all by himself? True, most kids who learn to use the potty can't do all of these things on their own. But it is the very rare GIRL who is ready at 18 months. Boys usually lag behind by several months. Most boys aren't ready to be fully trained until after 2.5 years. Could yours be ready before that? Certainly. He also may not be ready until after 3. You have to judge when he is ready to learn and that's not based on his age.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• For my sister, one day when she was ready to lay down for a nap ( she was watching barney and baby bop prior to this) I told her barney needed to borrow it for baby bop. Anytime she asked we told her barney forgot to bring it well get it tomorrow or later and months later she doesnt even ask anymore it definatley worked. You just have to use something your child will understand. Also make sure you only use it for bed, when he gets up tell him it stays in the bed. This also helped getting her less attatched to her binkie. good luck :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2008