Breast cancer

Am I the only one that is getting tired of seeing pink this month? Don't get me wrong, I know women have been touched by it and lost their lives. But their are so many other types of cancers. I lost my mom to melanoma(skin cancer.) I lost my sister to ovarian cancer. I had a dear friend lose a son to pediatric cancer. Pedriatric cancer month was Sep. And you didn't hear a thing about it. I am just saying there is not just breast cancer.

arenad

Asked by arenad at 11:12 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Health

• What annoys me about pink awareness is no one talks about everything you can do to PREVENT breast cancer. And it's flippin breast cancer awareness month! We know that eating well, drinking enough water, becomming pregnant and breastfeeding all reduce risks, but no one says a word about any of those things.

Also, heart disease kills a LOT more women than breast cancer does. Heart disease is the #1 killer in our country for men and women alike. And we don't have a big to-do about that.

And for all the pink awareness, we are no closer to a cure. How about we fund research for preeclampsia and other conditions that we currently know so little about?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think it's great that they're promoting breast cancer awareness. Breast cancer survival rate is very high in the first stage. I think that's why they're pushing for ppl to get screened early and regularly. But I also think we should remember that cancer effects the whole body. Unfortunately, a lot of other cancers aren't detected until it's too late.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 11:28 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• No I'm not getting sick of it and there was awareness last month for pediatric cancer. On here and in the stores. Breast cancer isn't really detected until it's they are in a far stage so they want women to be aware and don't think a little bump is nothing.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Agreed. Let's combine all the colors, which will probably turn black, in remembrance of anyone who has died or beaten any type of cancer!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My aunt had brest cancer 5 times. The 4th time they said she wouldnt make it after 2 years, but then her treatments started to work then this past month she was diagnosed with it again. & It has spread to her lungs. If this treatment does not work then they wont know what else to do. All this pink awarness stuff and parties and donations and walks for a cause is to help find more cures and more treatments to cure it. I do not want to loose her considering she has raised me better than my own mother, even after her husband passing away and had no job and raised her 2 kids and me. She is amazing. But people fight for there lives all the time. Cancer is everywhere. & NO i am not tired of seeing the color pink bc that shows that there are women out there who are strong enought to help and support other cancer victims. They show awarness for other types of conditions and cancer and even children who commit suicide by being bullied.
    beachbabewdj08

Answer by beachbabewdj08 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It doesn't bother me, but I do agree that they could focus on other cancers too.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

•  Aside from non-melanoma skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common form of cancer in women. Breast cancer is the number one cause of cancer death in Hispanic women. It is the second most common cause of cancer death in white, black, Asian/Pacific Islander, and American Indian/Alaska Native women.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• In 2006 (the most recent year numbers are available)—

• 191,410 women were diagnosed with breast cancer.*†

• 40,820 women died from breast cancer.*†

†Source: U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics: 1999–2006 Incidence and Mortality Web-based Report. Atlanta (GA): Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and National Cancer Institute; 2010. Available at: http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/uscs/

So yeah... I think the aweness IS totally necessary and if you want awareness for other diseses to be just as popular, then get  out there and make it happen.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2010