If, pro-life laws are passed and we become a striclty pro-life nation, what are some ways/programs we could come up with to support pregnant women who would've chosen to abort their babies??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• All I can think of are programs that some (not all) Pro-Lifers are against. Things like:
    1) Full all encompassing sex education in schools. So that all children are educated in regards to: BC options/proper usage, safer sex practices, sexual activity alternatives like masturbation, sexual responsiblity and the reprecussion/consequences of irresponsible sexual activity.
    2) More social programs for mothers who carry out an unintended pregnancy who can not afford them on their own: healthcare, parenting classes, job training/furthering education opportunities beyond the High School level, etc..
    3) Changes in adoption laws so that there are more families available and able to adopt unwanted children.
    4) Greatly extending the fostercare programs & even opening up orphanage type facilities to house, education, care for/provide for unwanted children.

All would cost taxpayer's money.

Cont.. below.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• People don't think that far ahead.... And honestly, if abortion was made illegal, they would still happen. People would just go back to the back alley, coathanger abortion "methods" of the 50's. So more women would get butchered, possibly die. That's the ONLY thing that would happen.

Honestly, until every anti-choice person out there adopts one of the millions of unwanted foster kids in this country, I feel they need to keep their mouths shut. It's so easy to say "we need to MAKE those women have their babies", without any thought of what happens to those babies afterwards...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 11:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• You mean how are we as a country going to support another 1MILLION plus unwanted citizens? We're going to shove them in to already overcrowded adoption programs, foster care and group homes... Up Taxes to support the extra pull on our welfare system, lower education standards even more - And of course, we would see more dead mothers from back alley abortions, a higher murder rate among battered women and MILLIONS more abused and neglected children...

Oh yeah, that sounds like a wonderful world, lets force this through NOW! I always love taking huge steps backwards...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Ink-Freak (sorry, I can't make myself do that cap-no cap-cap-no cap thing). If you say the world doesn't need women with no hearts, aren't you pretty much putting yourself square in that same category with comments like that. Don't presume to know the reason EVERY woman on earth will EVER consider an abortion. Until you walk in their shoes, keep your ASSumptions to yourself. You're the heartless one. Sheesh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• If laws like this are passed, there won't be programs, those women will be frowned upon. I think it's totally insane to try to make this a pro-life nation and i am far from an abortion "supporter" but I think we need the choices available for MANY reasons ... I am saddened for our future...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• 1 of the things is that we need to have easy access to adoption information and make the adoption process easy to understand and navigate through.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I like the freedom that the laws of our country gives all women the ability to make their own decision-to be pro-life or pro-choice. I, personally could never have an abortion. But just because that is my decision, I don't want to force it on everyone else. If the laws change, only those who have the knowledge about where to go and how to get one, and have the money to pay for it, will have an option. The young and poor will not have an option.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• All contain aspects that many who are pro-life would be against in one way or another.

I also, did not include the healthcare cost that taxpayers will also be saddled with due to the heaht/medical consequences of: woman who shouldn't have been (medically speaking) trying to carry a child to term &/or give birth, the cost of women who suffer ill health consequences from performing self abortions or going for a back ally one, etc.

To me personally. Abortion is not a moral issue and it is not a religious issue. When I look at how our society as a whole could be negatively impacted by changes in abortion laws. It makes my view one that comes from a Public Health and Safety viewpoint. Not a religious or moral one. Not everyon shares my religion or morals, so viewing it that way would be myopic of me. However, as citizens of this country, we all are affected and impacted by they consequences of changing such law as a society.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm with pixietrix, 100%. First the US would need very thorough health care, including not only abstinence, but birth control methods and the risks and benefits of each, and relationship based topics like safe sex and pleasure that is lower risk for pregnancy, like mutual masturbation and oral sex. Secondly, if you want women to carry those babies in a healthy way, you'll need to pay for that... some sort of universal health care would probably help. If you want the women to care for those babies post-birth, a better maternity leave would be a good start... I'm in Canada, we get a year of mat leave. That sounds like a start. The catch is that a lot of this is going to cost money, and people are going to object to some aspects of it... but I think it's a train wreck waiting to happen to prohibit abortion but to refuse to support those families who might otherwise abort.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It'll never happen- regardless of how "christian" some believe this nation to be.

The only thing that would occur is the deaths of thousands of women who were butchered in hotel rooms and filthy "clinics". If all of you took a moment to look at the sorry state of the adoptive system, foster care, and the craps shoot that social services puts people though, you would think twice about preaching adoption as the "loving option".
    No, I do not believe that there would be programs that are not religiously based, and designed to strike women with guilt for their decisions... Sometimes abortion truly IS the loving option. How could anyone bring another person into this world that is only going to suffer? THAT is unethical, and immoral.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:57 AM on Oct. 21, 2010