Does this make sense to anyone else, and if so what the heck do I do?

I went to my doctor's appt today for my rhogam injection I am 29 weeks and 2 days! My ob/gyn got mad at me because so far I gained a pound, he wants me to start eating like crazy and gaining weight (i am not purposely keeping weight off I only gained 22 pounds with my son) anyways he told me to start packing on the carbs! Well this frieday I have to get another glucose tolerance test because my first one came back abnormal, well if it's positive that I have gestational diabeties then carbs and things are something I may have to stay away from obviously. Anyone have suggestions on what I can eat that will help put on weight but is safe for baby and I IF I do have g.d?

Married2theBest

Asked by Married2theBest at 12:59 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• you should not be eating carbs regardless. Thats empty calories. Well not all carbs but you follow my drift. You want the weight you gain to be from nutritious sources (though I was probably guilty of gaining a pound or two from reeses LOL) Try foods high in good fats and protein. Smoothies helped me. Dairy will also be a great source for calories and great for you and baby ( most women dont know if yuo dont get enough calcium during pregnancy baby will take it from your bones potentially causing problems with osteoperosis later on in life) I would just increase your intake and try and keep those foods healthy and nutrient packed. Good luck and dont let Doc get to you. Baby will only take what he needs and if he doesnt need carbs guess who is stuck carrying that weight when he is out of you? ;)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 1:05 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Well thank you, I know nothing about food and whats good and what not so you helped me!
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 1:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• you could try the book what to expect when your expecting the pregnancy diet. Its a little extreme but has some good ideas. You can also search out pregnancy recipes on the web. I found some great smoothie recipes (non alcoholic pina colodas so much fun!)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 1:15 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• If you are not a vegetarian, eat your favorite meat. I suggest baked chicken. You can eat a lot of that when your pregnant unlike fish. I am preggo and drink a smoothie a day because I too have not gained a lot of weight with this pregnancy. My smoothie consists of soy vanilla milk (do not like regular milk), sorbet and fresh fruit. My fresh fruit of choice is strawberries and peach sorbet. Bananas are great as well. Also, try beans, chili is great around this time.
    Ahma-Lily

Answer by Ahma-Lily at 1:20 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• ok ladies I am now on the google hunt for pregnancy recipies and smoothies thank you so much for the help!
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 1:39 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i would go see another OB..they cant get mad at you for any reason.. get a second opinion...about the carbs, if its abnormal, i wouldnt be eating them till you get the results back
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• umm yeah the doc can.. my doc said he'd be mad if i gain more than 2 lbs a month.. and i havent.. soo yeah.. its for the health of the baby, thats the doc's interest.. but you look a little bigger in your pics, so your body probably doesnt need to gain weight in order to support the pregnancy..
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 2:13 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• thats the thing he is mad because I HAVEN'T gained weight, I only gained 1 pound and I am 7 months so he wants me to gain more
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 2:40 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• really???
    what a butt.. if you havent gained alot of weight, it seems more healthy.. but i dunno..
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 2:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• How do YOU feel?? Do you feel healthy?? Is the pregnancy making you tired and worn out, or are you handling it well?? Maybe your body knows what it is doing and you and baby are just fine, and dr is uncomfortable because you are not fitting into the "mold"!!! Try pudding BTW for weight gain!! Eat healthy fats and as organic as you can
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 3:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2008