What teachings in the Jehovah Witness religion do you disagree with and why

I always see people say they disagree with the teachings of the JW's and would like to know exactly- besides not celebrating holidays- what they disagree with and why. Please provide Biblical scripture to back up your reasons if possible.

Thank you.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I disagree with JWs only because I disagree with religion in general. I find them to be no more, and sometimes less, offensive than many Bible thumpers. I am not saying that I don't like Christians, by the way.  It's just been my experience that when I tell a JW that I'm not interested in joining their faith, they are more respectful than many Christians when they're trying to convert me. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 1:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i have nothing against JWs and i consider them Christians. the only reason i never considered their denomination was b/c of the little things (no holidays, the way they evangelize, the Watchtower, no saluting the flag). the little things are just too legalistic for me (and they arent the only denom i feel this way about). personally, i like their view of the afterlife and i lean more and more non-Trinitarian every day.

im glad you asked this, as i think many Christians just buy into the "they're a cult" talk and have no idea what JWs really believe.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm not Christian, because of that I disagree with a great number of their teachings, but no more than I do any other Christian organization's teachings...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• ria, they believe Jesus Christ was gods son and that he died and rose from the dead all the same as my Roman Catholic grandmother, HOWEVER they believe he died on a stake and NOT a cross since that was the practice in those days. and is also scientifically proven to be the way he died by the historical accounts alone. Also they do not belive he is god Jehovah but God's son the first angel he created Micheal.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It doesn't matter what I agree with or disagree with, it is their right to believe what they will, and I'm not going to judge. Too bad some other Christians feel the need to criticize JW's for whatever reasons. My thought is that eventually we will all figure out who is right, and maybe it will be that JW's are actually the ones doing it right. Who knows?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• BUMP... I was raised a JW and would love to see what people say ad actually think about JW because they really would be surprised how not different they really are!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'll admit that JW is one of the faiths I'm not as knowledgeable about. I've taken a lot of time studying other religions, and the history of Christianity itself, but when it comes to the more recent kinds I haven't really gotten that far - there is so much in Christianity to study and learn about that I just haven't really gotten around to it, I guess I'm trying to say. So I don't know exactly what they believe, but then again I don't go around trying to say they're not Christians or badmouthing them or anything... I believe they're following what resonates with them, just as we all follow what we find speaks to us. I do plan on educating myself on what they believe, some day, lol. I have so many things that I read and study, though, that I don't know when that will be...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• And that's right - there have been many versions of nonTrinitarianism throughout this history of Christianity. NonTrinitarianism goes back as far as Trinitarianism does...

(I'm a nonTrinitarian myself - so its always great to see someone not trying to say that makes me not a Christian) ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Jerzy, they have no part of the worldly government which Jesus Christ himself instated!!!! Also what does taking in blood(again in the bible) do you "not like"? Also they pointed out where the Catholic church is wrong because well it is A LOT of the time./ Also Christianity was formed AFTER Christ!!!! And NOT by Christ! How you are so closed minded on your own religion is beyond me. Oh and their god is NOT the one from the OT just like ALL Christians they go by the NT!!!!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Do you mean disagree with or disapprove of? I disagree with a lot because my beliefs are different and where we part ways is where our beliefs differ, if that makes sense..... I don't have a problem with anyone's faith being different than mine, though, I am very willing to agree to disagree......as for disapprove......I'm not real crazy about the JW beliefs about the Catholic Church....Being Catholic, I see some ignorance going on in what they are taught about Catholicism.....I cannot give you Bible verses about this because we even interpret the Bible differently, so it wouldn't help, plus Catholics believe in Holy Tradition, JW's don't, so that would not help either....there isn't a way to have a discussion when your very definitions of what makes a person right, and even definitions of words do not match...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2010