how long does it take for a small package to be sent overseas? and what would the price be?

i want to send my brother something..for the holidays coming up..probably small..maybe a card and some candy..what do you think the price would be? never mailed anything overseas before

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Holidays

• I've never shipped so many packages before as I do now since my daughter was deployed. If you plan on doing a lot of shipping( 1 or 2 times a month) its worth it to call customer service at the post office and request a 'military care kit'. it includes the boxes, the documents and document holder, shipping labels and even tape. the different size boxes are on online on the usps.com site. you can also set up an account and print and pay for everything online and they will pick up the package at your doorstep. no more post office visits and long lines. the biggest apo/fpo box cost is 11.95 if you pay online and I think 12.50 if you take it to the post office. The average ship time has been about 7 days from my door to the middle east. as long as its not over 70lbs if it fits in the box thats what you pay. :) make sure to secure the seams on the boxes if it is packed tight,and no chocolate if its going to middle east (melt)
    arsynergy

Answer by arsynergy at 9:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• The cost will depend how you package it. If you choose to send more, you can get flat-rate boxes from the post office - the cost depends on the size, the smalles one isn't that expensive, just a few dollars - and IMO is the safest way to go. There are also special envelopes - just ask at the post office what would be best. Time - kind of depends on the country, if he's in the military, etc. When my brother was in Iraq with the Army, the longest it ever took was 2 weeks. I pretty much always used flat rate boxes because I could pack them as heavy as I wanted for the same price! They can tell you your options at the post office and tell you what would be best for sending it. You'll also have to fill out a form since it's going overseas.
    Anonymous