Should birth control be over the counter?

In your opinion, would it reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Continued : We don't like it and its sad the number of young girls getting pregnant, But its time to wise up and realize that its a fact now. We should give them the opportunities that older women have, so they don't share the same responsibilities before they are ready for it! How can we as fellow women, sit here and go poor babies having babies, and turn around and say NO you cant have that birth control?

ThaSs

Answer by ThaSs at 1:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• nope, there are far too many types and risks/ side effects of each to be OTC, they should remain a decision a doctor and woman reach together about the most appropriate type
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My thoughts.

No.. Hormonal and implantation forms of birth control are available by prescription only due to the myriad of negative health affects they can bring along with with. Women have an exam and consultation with their doctor before one of these forms of BC are prescribed. There are things that must be know such as certain health issues when one of these forms of BC are prescribed. The possible health impacts/health issues due to women going and putting themselves on some form of BC while unknowingly having a possible health issue that can affect the BC, or the BC can affect and cause problems with are too great.

Condoms can be bought over the counter. There are no cost, low cost, sliding scale BC options at: county health clinics and Planned Parenthood and other organizations (or at least other orgs can give a referral, info & sometimes even vouchers).
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i don't see why not. they could always ID teens of a certain age. just like alcohol. make it legally available OTC from..idk..age 15(?), and earlier than than, a legal guardian would have to purchase and sign for it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I know I might get bashed for this..but I don't think hormonal birth control is healthy. Not healthy physically or emotionally. Regardless of my views people are going to use it...so I think it should be prescribed by a doctor..at least that way there is some screening.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't think it should be OTC, only because people need to be taught how to take it properly, and make sure it's a good idea for them. Some people don't do well on the pill.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It is... The ONLY form of BC that's not sold OTC is hormonal BC, and no, I don't believe it should be. Why? Because hormones are very dangerous, and if they aren't taken under a doctors care they can interfere with other medications, not to mention damage a woman's natural hormones, especially if they are taken to early in life. My reaction to hormones was HORRID! and it could have killed me. Had I been younger, just buying the stuff as a teen and hiding it, as I'm sure lots of other girls would do, chances are I would have died...

On the other hand, I think it should be easier and CHEAPER for people to get the OTC methods that are out there. Condoms are getting more and more expensive... Sponges (which I prefer and hope to be able to by for my daughter) are not only expensive ($18 for 3), but hard to find.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Hormonal bc has some serious risks of side effects. The warning labels about heart attacks, blood clots, etc are genuine. If an uneducated girl decided to take double- or triple-doses of pills or skipping all the placebos, she could be putting her health at serious risk.

A doctor can best evaluate what drug will work for their patient. Keep it behind the counter.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Condoms and spermicide already are and should remain so.

Hormonal, no, but it should be always readily available.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Yes they should, for all ages, Aspirin and Bayer and any other medicine has bad effects as well, why should BC matter. What young girls really tell their parents she is sexual active, She should be able to protect herself. . If they just sold them over the counter to obvious ages, the 12 and 13yr pregnancies would slim down by leaps and bounds. If they are old enough to have sex, they are old enough to know the consequences and buy preventatives. If there is a side effect, I am sure they would seek out a doctor pronto. span>

ThaSs

Answer by ThaSs at 1:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2010