with my overweight baby...should i start baby food?

my baby is close t0 his 5month mark and i was told that by five months my baby should be eating baby food and cereal H/E because of his weight my doctor adviced me not to give him cereal just yet but she didnt say anything about feeding him baby food. do you think it will be alright to start him on baby foods because the milk isnt exactly holding his tummy well he becomes hungry alot offten and i dont think just feeding him milk is good? What type of foods should i start him on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wait... why is someone telling you your baby is overweight?! If it is your ped, find a new one ASAP
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• exactly what peanutsmommy1 said..... how big is your baby?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• At 5 months, no. You shouldn't start baby food until at least 6 months.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I agree with peanutsmommyy1. A overweight baby?Babies are supposed to be chubby.They loose weight when they start waliking and running.Use your own judgement on when and what to feed.My youngest got table food at 5 months old.It never hurt him.And he was very chubby.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My doc told me to wait until 6 months to feed my son solids. I say feed them when they are hungry. Go with your gut instinct.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Usually people give cereal before baby food, so if she said no cereal yet... that definitely means no baby food yet, and just fyi... you don't start solids based on your babys weight, you start based on how developed their stomach is which is normally around 6 months.
    Anonymous

• If your baby wants food, give him/her food.....if he/she is satisfied with formula or breast milk it's okay to just give him/her that until he/she shows signs of wanting food....I hope your doctor didn't tell you your baby is overweight.....but if your doctor just said to hold off on cereal it is because sometimes cereal is given to help a baby gain weight, and isn't really necessary.....If you are going to try food, I'd start with a little applesauce and see how that goes....best wishes!
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Quoting you OP: and i dont think just feeding him milk is good?

Why not?! Breastmilk is the perfect and only necessary food for a baby's first year. There are sooooo many babies around the world, including in the US, that thrive on nothing but breastmilk for an entire year - and some for longer! Baby food before a year is not nutritionally necessary - it is only for practice. There is absolutely no reason to start baby food before a year unless your child has issues with drinking - but if your baby is supposedly overweight (hardy har har) on breastmilk alone then he/she most certainly does NOT need baby foods. It really sounds like you need to seek out a new doctor for your baby.
    Anonymous

• Actually. berastmilk is all he needs. Or formula if that's what you're giving. No need for solids yet.

Check out wholesomebabyfood.com for info./

Answer by gdiamante at 4:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Babies can be overweight. Overweight babies can lead to overweight kiddos and overweight adults. If the doc tells you no, then dont do it. You dont want to make the baby heavier. BM or formula is perfectly fine :)
    Anonymous