Have you ever Boarded your pet?

If so, what did it cost per night? How long did you leave your pet? What happens to your pet while being Boarded? Please feel free to share any important information. Thanks.

ToriBabe1221

Asked by ToriBabe1221 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Pets

• We boarded our cat for about 5 days when we moved, I think it was the best 5 days of his life, lol. He got tons of attention and a full spa treatment grooming...he was so clean and soft and sleek and awesome when we picked him up. I think it was about $14 a night, but I can't remember exactly.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i have not boarded, but have worked at kennels that do. cost can be anywhere from 10-30 a nite. people come in in the AM, feed, water, take out to potty, andd clean if necessary. usually, taken out again at noonish, and fed watered and walked in the PM. a good kennel should abide by your wishes on feededing, ie once a day, free feed, special food, ect. some places have their own fenced in area, some can only take outside on a leash. (there have been instances of larger dogs going over fences, no matter how high, so consider that if you have a big dog, or an escape artist.) you can send their own toys, blankets, ect. dogs are usually bathed the day before or the day they go home. cats are typically kept in large cages with food water and kitty box. boxes are typically kept clean, 2 x a day. some places have a "room" with toys, and lounging areas for kitty to stretch out, other just the cage.
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 12:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We had to have our last home tented for termites before we could sell it. We boarded my cat for 3 days. It was about $16 a night. There was no spa treatment. All I got from it was a very sick cat . It costs me $300 in vet bills and a week off work to save her. She got a horrible upper respiratory infection. She had never been sick before that, and in the 7 yrs she lived after that she never got sick again. I vowed then I would never board another animal. The place was in San Diego, it was a beautiful place. No smell, everything was clean. Cats all had to have certain shots to even be boarded there....and still my cat nearly died.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• $18/night, for 5 nights at the longest. her 'room' was 12'x15', partially outside, but fully roofed/covered. she was walked/fed/watered twice/daily. they bathed/groomed/clipped her the day before pick-up. she was absolutely fine.
    i might add, some kennels will not board a pet who's shots are not up-to-date. you might want to check all this beforehand.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I have not, but I did work at a boarding facility.From my experience, I reccommend boarding at a vet not a kennel... but if you have to go that route make sure you are allowed to go for a tour through the entire facility first, and use your best judgement. This is a better time of year to board because there are less pets which means more individual attention from the staff.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I board my dogs nearly every year. I take them to a very reputable kennel. I have never had any of my dogs get ill from being there. My one dog was never too thrilled about it. My other dog seems to LOVE it. It's usually about $15 a night.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Unfortunatley, what grneyedgrandma said happens a lot this is why I reccommend a vet over a kennel.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Here in S. FL for a decent boarding facility it runs about $40 a day depending on the size of your animal. You also have to provide your own food. If you want extra walks or anything they charge extra. In most cases your dog needs to be spayed or neutered or they will not be allowed around other animals during "play time" (which was 2 x a day for 1/2 sessions). Also all shots must be current. The cage for a medium sized dog was about 4' x 6'. I looked into it for my bulldog and ultimately decided I'd rather pay a friend to watch him.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• price varies and excersize/play or yard time costs extra. they are fed and watered as instructed by you as well as have the inside and outside portion of their run cleaned (typically) twice per day.
    Its important to tour the facility beforehand UNANNOUNCED and get references. some vets also do boarding for short time periods.
    Mrs.PMAL

Answer by Mrs.PMAL at 1:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We have boarded our dogs at our vet twice. They charge $8/night for up to 25lbs and $10/night for over 25lbs. They feed and let the dogs go outside in individual 4' X 20' runs twice/day. Inside, they are kept in individual kennels that are about 10' X 10'. I always provide the food because I do NOT want my dogs getting Science Diet (yuck). They also bathe the dogs the day you will be picking them up.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2010