Freaked about forceps and or vacuum

Should I be freaked out about the use of forcepts or the vacuum? Is there a point just before they are used that I can opt for a c- section instead?

SunshineSandie

Asked by SunshineSandie at 12:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would say it depends on the doctor. I would suggest asking at your next appointment. I will say that the vaccum was used with my first and did not work. (If I knew then what I know now about that particular procedure, I would have said it was not to be used.) My doctor had to use forceps. I was so desperate for my baby to be born that I was grateful he finally did use them.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• beleive me, when the time comes, you won't care how they get the baby out as long as it comes out.It causes lack of oxygen when a baby gets stuck for too long.so they have to do what they need to do.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• never thought about it really.... i had big babies and didn't need any assistance you'd be amazed at what your body can do, GL sorry i'm not much help
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Very few doctors will use forceps these days, and the vacuum extractor isn't awful. Pushing out a baby is a two steps forward, one step back process, and the vacuum just prevents the one step back. The vacuum can only fall off so many times (they won't just keep sticking it on again and again). I would discuss with your doctor what his policies are with them. I promise they are better than a c-section. Hopefully, you won't need any of those options.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Talk to your delivering doc and find out what method he/she is more comfortable with, you don't want them using a method they are less familiar with. Most docs do use vacuum now, but not all. Both methods can have consequences. My doc used vaccum and my son had a cone head, bruising and had to have his bilirubin levels checked more frequently for jaundice. You should try for as little intervention as possible for the baby, it is your decision ultimately. Let your doc know up front if you do not want them to use either. And of course, if the baby is that stuck, c-section is always a possibility. Hope this helps!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would have never thought I would have a vacuum used on me on my third delivery, but it was. It was my third vaginal delivery and I could not get my son out. After pushing off and on for almost two hours the doc decided I would be able to get him out with a vacuum. My epidural was gone, and I was dying so I didn't care anymore. After they put the vacuum on his head (cause he was almost out anyway) I got him delivered in two pushes. It was awesome! But the cord was wrapped around his neck three times and it was pulling him back every time I pushed and that's why he wasn't coming out. So it wasn't a bad experience at all, and I didn't even tear!
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 12:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My daughter was vacuumed out. She's 3 years old now and perfectly fine.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 12:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Don't lay down. SQAT! If you are in a squat 1) you won't need a vaccum and 2) they won't be able to get in there.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• For mom, I'd have to say as long as the care provider knows what they are doing and does not rush things, an assisted delivery is going to be better then a c-section.
    Trust me when I say you really really do not want a c-section unless absolutely needed.
    However, there is the off chance you will have a care provider that is not skilled and you can have extensive tearing or they will cut a very large episiotomy.
    Still having personal experience with both c-sections and a 3rd degree tear, I'd go for the vaginal birth everytime.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Working for the safest birth possible generally means thoroughly self-educating.

If you don't want something learn how to avoid it.

Hiring a normal birth expert midwife) over a surgeon/high-risk doctor (OB) is maybe the best way. But whatever you do, stay upright, work with gravity, moan, wriggle & wiggle, use the birth stool and toilet...

Have great labor support~ use a doula to help you with this stuff prior and during labor.

Good luck!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010