do you think it's selfish of me to only buy christmas for my kids this year? Or just to buy for the kids in the family and not the adults even though we receive gifts from them?

This year I've decided to let it be about the kids...Do you think that's selfish? I like to buy for mine first of course and then buy for the rest of the family later..But not having alot to go on this year (cuz it's been a bad year) Would you just shop for only your immediate family or would you shop for the other kids in the family as well?? (christmas) sorry forgot to minchen that :)

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Holidays

• I would let the other family members know that is what you are doing. Maybe call and say you are doing your Chritmas budget and would like to just buy for the kids and ask if they would care to do the same.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• That's what we are doing,but its due to greediness,not lack of funds per se

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• If you want to just shop for your children, it is fine, but it would be rude to not inform those that you usually buy for that you will only be buying for your children this year.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I will be doing good to get atything for just mine.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• my family can be greedy especially one of my sisters she just wants the gifts and don't give back this is every year but this year it's been a aweful year we'v e had to move twice this summer alone...
    chica679

Comment by chica679 (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• we started doing that 2 years ago..i mean we dont have a big family, but just to save money, because none of us have much..so we all buy for the kids, and then we draw names and only buy for ONE adult..but we dont spend more than $25 on the adult..it works for us..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think that the first Mom is right, let your family members know that you do not plan on buying for the adults. Maybe they would appreciate just being able to buy for the kids this year, maybe they will still buy for you but either way it would be better to let them know.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I agree with ria7, send an email blast to everyone involved and just be honest, say its been a tough year, how about we all do gifts just for the kids this year? I think you'll be surprised at how many will be relieved. You could also suggest doing a secret santa for the adults, that way everyone has one gift to open, just be sure to set a dollar limit on that. Its not selfish, its reality. We can barely afford x-mas for our kids, let alone everyone else. We haven't done gifts for adults (other than my dad) in a few years. We just can't, and people understand that.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• No, I don't......I have been doing it that way for 20 years.....be prepared for others not to like the change, though.....some WILL disapprove and get their feelings hurt.......This is what I did......I told (and if it comes up tell new friends and family now) everyone that at Christmas I only buy gifts for my husband and children and ask that they not buy for us.......I don't get into the big spending frenzy, I keep Christmas simple......Now, that being said, a lot of my family didn't like it, and my mom even called me names a few times and tried to shame me into changing my policy....(she has passed on now), over the years, people who know me have accepted that, some give gifts to us anyway, some to my kids only, some don't give at all, and I am gracious about all of it and say thank you to those who insist on giving anyway, but I have no guilt.....(I know this pisses some off, but don't care, to their chagrin, unfortunately
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• No thats all I can do this year to and my kids come first.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2010