how to break a lying habit?

my 6yr old son lies to us constantly, it started in kindergarten last year, we tried heart to heart explaining why lying is wrong and causes problems and we tried soap in the mouth, and we tried restrictions on toys and privileges...nothing worked. Over the summer it stopped, but now that school started again so has the lying. Please if you have any suggestions or methods that have worked for your own child, i need help!!!

stephorli

Asked by stephorli at 12:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Let em know if you get any good ideas. I have the same problem with my 10 year old daughter.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• In first grade our oldest started lying to us. One day I asked him what he hated to do the most. He said cleaning. I implemented a hour of cleaning for each lie told policy. Each time he told a lie, he had to clean something in our house. He HATED it and stopped lying!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I really don't know how to stop it, but my stepdaughter lies constantly - making up stories, just anything. She'll go back and tell her Mom that I bossed her around all weekend when I was barely near her, she made up a story to me about how her friend was falling from a tree and she caught her in mid-air, another story about how a man tried snatching her & her friend and she screamed and he ran away (only because we were on the topic of how when *I* was younger, a woman tried snatching me from a store and I screamed). I know her stories aren't true and so do her parents. Sorry to stray off your question - but I think it's just a stage that all kids go through.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• if he is 6 thats a lying age my neice did the same thing and still does, you may just have to ignore it for now. but if it gets worse i would talk to a dr or something he could be a compulsive liar
    Tiffany_Rivera_

Answer by Tiffany_Rivera_ at 12:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My girl tried that when she was 6 or 7. I just stopped believing anything she said, and constantly questioned her. She hated it. I explained that lying breaks the trust and this is how life is when you life and cannot be trusted.
    Example:
    Me: Is your room clean?
    Her: Yes. (and I usually is)
    Me: I don't believe you. I have to check.
    Things like this, made her see how it sucks. EVERYTHING was questioned. She got the point.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I did the same as Pnukey - when my DD went through that stage, I questioned everything. If she told me she needed something for school, I would make her get a note from her teacher. It was embarrassing for her. After a few months (she's pretty thick-headed sometimes), she figured out that being untrustworthy has serious negative consequences.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Along with other posters, I'd also have a conference with his teacher and see if you two can't figure it out together.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:35 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• The lying could be his way of making himself feel more important. I used to lie a lot as a kid to make myself feel more important or to have something cool to say. I am the middle child and I have middle child syndrome.
    If this is the cause, help him find what is special and important about himself. Maybe try and find a sports team or boy scout troop to help him practice dealing with larger groups of people and not feel lost in the crowd.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• there is nothing that can be done. the harder you try the bigger the lies.
    tinker16233

Answer by tinker16233 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2010