How do you feel about animal research and testing? Would you buy products that have been tested on animals?

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think people realize how many people sign up for trials for medication and cosmetics. It's not like "human testing" is done on people who don't know there are risks or who aren't getting paid for their participation - you know, like the animals are. Those poor animals don't get a say, they don't get to volunteer or even tell the scientists what these products are really doing to them. The only thing that can really be tested by animals is whether or not something causes medical issues or death. IF this stuff is causing neurological damage, skin irritation or a laundry list of other difficult to detect issues the animals can't even tell anyone, they just suffer... Why is it so bad to have human volunteers who can be accurately monitored and can accurately report any and all issues to researchers testing this stuff? If the stuff is so dangerous we have to resort to animals, maybe we shouldn't even be testing it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I can understand the reasons behind testing medication on animals first, even though I don't like it... But I think it should be done as humanely as possible. However, other testing, like make-up and such? Ridiculous. And no, I would NEVER buy products like that.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• No, I will not buy products that have been tested on animals. Ever since I was small I have protested animal research in various ways. I remember going door to door with my mom getting petitions signed and attending demonstrations. If anybody has seen the horrific things they do to animals I don't know how they could be for animal testing of any sort.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Ok, do you test on animals first, or do you test on people?

Cosmetics are ridiculous and of course I go cruelty free, but medications, well, I'd rather have them kill a mouse than a human.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm not in favor of it. In most cases they don't really need to use these animals.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I hate it, if they won't test on humans they why test on animals? Why should they suffer?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm highly against testing on animals, and no, I won't buy products I know are tested that way... I would prefer to see experimental products tested on criminals...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• While I think it's cruel, I do understand the necessity for SOME of the testing. I don't see why they can't use the scum on death row for their experiments.

I do not see the need to test beauty products on animals. That is just plain stupid and unnecessarily cruel.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm an animal lover, but I wouldn't even be alive if it weren't for using animals in medical research. My mom is a Type 1 diabetic and relies on insulin injections to survive. Insulin was discovered/developed through the use of dogs in medical research. My mom would have died as a child if she hadn't had insulin injections.

I believe there are prudent cases in using animals in medical research.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't support testing for cosmetic or non-medical reasons. I make an effort to spend my money accordingly.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2010