Do you think having children is a fundamental human right? Should there should be any restrictions?

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• In a perfect world, there would be some kind of way to regulate who could and could not have children. But this isn't a perfect world, and as much as I wish there were a way that the right to parent could be revoked from some people, I know that there is no possible way for it to be done. As for medical intervention being a fundamental right, after the octo-mom fiasco, i believe that there should be a number of hours of counseling or something because there are women out there now just trying to get the next big reality show by having multiples. With adoption, I wish there were a way to make deciding who can and can not give birth as rigorous a process as the one involved in adoption. But I do believe that adoption should be a fundamental right as well. There are millions of children worldwide who are in need of loving parents and millions of loving parents who can't have children of their own.
    JourneyToANewMe

Answer by JourneyToANewMe at 10:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Umm... Yes and No... I do think it's a basic human right. However, like all other rights, under certain circumstances it should be revoked... We had a local judge who gave a woman the choice between prison and a tubal, she chose a tubal. She has lost custody of 4 children because of abuse, neglect and her own drug addiction and was pregnant with number 5, who she had already lost custody of... Do I think people like that should have that right revoked? Yes. I do. People who repeatedly create children and abuse or neglect them, shouldn't have equal rights to those who do right by their reproductive rights...

Take a step away from reproduction and look at it... Other things like jobs, owning a home, dating... These are all basic human rights as well, but for those who abuse them - rapists, murderers - they loose them. I don't know why this would be different. Respect the rights of others, or risk loosing your own.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It is a gift that people take for granted. And yes some people should never have kids. But the Government should stay out of bodies.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I am confused why it is a right to birth a child but not to adopt??? i have a REALLY hard time with that. I adopted my DS and was put through the ringer to be "approved". Not to say that it is not appropriate but what makes being able to have your own more of a right? I think that's crap..there are millions of people who have birthed their own children that should have had back ground checks as i did...seriously...what the hell's the difference? If they have the right then adoptive parents should too...
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• No--I think it s a Priviledge...and you have to earn it first, not just pop one out.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It is a privilege that many abuse. My adopted brother's biological mother did drugs throughout her entire pregnancy. He has a speech delay, learning disability, and other medical problems thanks to her. I am pro-choice so forcing women to be sterilized would go against my beliefs. It is hard sometimes though.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't think anyone but the mother should have a say in the children she brings into this world. Obviously, if she's in a good relationship with a good man, then she'll include him, but the final choice, weather it be to have an abortion, give the baby up for adoption, or parent, it should be the mothers choice. Having the choice to have children or not have children is a woman's basic human right. NO ONE has ANY right to tell her what to do with her reproductive organs.
    joeymommy1

Answer by joeymommy1 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't think anyone should be able to decide when or how I have children. You can't regulate morality.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 5:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• who would you propose define and enforce those restrictions?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• No a right, but a responsibility and no restrictions- how have we come to a place where we have to have restrictions on our responsibilities, shouldn't we be adults and know the difference between a right and a responsibility without being told?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2010