• In the Spotlight:

So today i got a letter from DS school...

I got a letter from my sons school today sayin that there was a case of scabies at his school..it goes on to describe scabies...a raised red rash, fluid filled bumps or thin red lines on the skin...im scared as it says the symptoms wont be visible for 2 to 6t weeks...im freaking out..sh0uld i keep DS home from kindergarten...what do i do? how contagious is this?

RaulitosMommy

Asked by RaulitosMommy at 1:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Believe me, you are going to get a lot of letters sent home, but you can't keep him from school. Just keep an eye open and now you know what to look for. I really don't know how contagious it is or even if it is, but maybe it won't hurt to call your pedi to ease your mind.

Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 8:08 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Send her to school. And just be on the lookout for symptoms, of itching or red spots. Don't worry, it's easily treatable. Have you googled t to learn about it? If you do, don't freak out. Remember the photos they show will be the worst case, untreated cases.
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 8:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I agree you do get a lot of these letters. I would send her to school and just keep and eye on her.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/scabies/factsht_scabies.htm This is a great web site that gives you information about scabies.

Good Luck and don't worry
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2008