Pacifiers

Just wondering how everyone feels about pacifiers~~Use them--Don't use them? What age did your kids give them up?

Carolannie

Asked by Carolannie at 12:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• My oldest daughter used one for almost 3 years....I loved it because it comforted her.....a lot of people seemed to have strong feelings about it, and would even pull it out of her mouth.....that did not sit well with me and I didn't put up with it....My second child wouldn't take one and sucked her thumb....my 3rd child would not take one and insisted on sucking on the front of my shirt....this bothered other moms who told me they would give him something else...I let them know I tried, didn't work, and it didn't bother me, and he outgrew it very quickly....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i hate them!! Caroline has never had one and i never tried to give her one! she has done great without one!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I hate pacifiers and have never and will never use one.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i use one i heard it can help prevent sids and im parinoid so i make sure my son has one while he sleeps
    nikkiandtommy

Answer by nikkiandtommy at 12:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My son was never into them. Preferred his thumb :)
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 12:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I use them. I also heard about them reducing SIDS, and my son also likes them. He's 2 months and has used them ever since he was born. He will only take the Soothie kind though.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 12:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My oldest used one from day one and kept it til he was nearly 4 for bed time...
    My lil one never took one, not at all... He didn't want one...
    With this one, we will leave it up to her, if she wants one, we'll be happy to give it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My DD is a paci girl. She was a sucker and once we had the nursing down this Mama did not want to be a human pacifier so I gave her one of her own. I also liked that it reduces the risk of SIDS. She is now 2 and still has the paci. Recently she has started putting her fingers in her mouth when she gets upset or tired and doesn't have her paci so I am keeping the paci a bit longer. I would rather she have a paci then suck her thumb or fingers, because a paci can go in the trash one day but there isn't much you can do to get rid of the fingers. I have heard all sorts of ages by which the paci should be gone, anywhere from 12-15 months to 3 years old. At this point I am really not overly concerned about it and I know she won't attend her first day of kindergarten with a paci in her mouth. I do make her take it out if she is trying to talk and I have worked on reducing time so she really only gets it at bed or nap time.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I breastfed so I did not give my children pacifiers until they were at least 6 weeks old. My first refused and I didn't push it because I was home with him and he could use me a pacifier and I saw (still see) no problem with that. My second did take one and I pushed it a little more since my DH was the SAHP and I was going to be in work full time. She spit it out around 7 months and never wanted it again. My niece wouldn't give hers up until they forcefully took it away at the age of 3 years. They are nice, but when there are attachment issues (my niece) then they can become a crutch. There are many other things to reduce the chances of SIDS and those studies are very questionable any way.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I tested and my kids didn't want them.
    I don't really see the need in them, but I just wanted to see whether they prefered them or not.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2010