Scabies...? Help

I got a letter from my sons school today sayin that there was a case of scabies at his school..it goes on to describe scabies...a raised red rash, fluid filled bumps or thin red lines on the skin...im scared as it says the symptoms wont be visible for 2 to 6t weeks...im freaking out..sh0uld i keep DS home from kindergarten...what do i do? how contagious is this?

RaulitosMommy

Asked by RaulitosMommy at 1:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Scabies is a very contagious skin condition that is caused by a mite. The mite cannot live more than 3 days without a human host, but it can survive up to a month when living on a human. The mite also lays eggs in human skin, which hatch and grow into adult mites. The rash caused by scabies is extremely itchy and is sometimes called "the seven-year itch." The rash can be subtle, and sometimes scabies is hard to diagnose. The mite is spread from person to person by close contact. Animals can harbor a similar mite, but when the animal mite is passed to people, it cannot reproduce and dies within a few days.
    If you believe your child might have them see your doctor!
    Since scabies can live in clothing, bedding and towels, all items that were in contact with the infected person should be washed in hot water with detergent and dried in a hot dryer.

Hope this helps.
    Schramko

Answer by Schramko at 2:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• It's very contagious, but it's probably to late to keep him home from school to avoid it.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:27 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I had it in high School. And like the others said it is extremely contagious, if he has it and touches u then u get it, thats how i got it. Another thing is when your body heat rises, like at night when your bundled up in the blanket, is when they are really active and make you itch, causing insomnia. A common place for them to show up is on the hands, mainly between the fingers. Just take him to the dr and tell him that your son may have been in contact with scabies and they should give a lotion for it, its really strong and only use it once a day (not 100% positive on the usage) i believe right after a shower for a week (?) and he should be fine, but u do have to wash everything. But dont stress ur self out if he does get it, it dont mean your dirty like some people imply.

Florence_Moss

Answer by Florence_Moss at 4:03 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My son,now 13 got them when we were staying with a friend when he was only a week old. Stupid Dr. said it was baby exzema? After weeks of him suffering I went to NY to see my sister who works at a hospital and he was diagnosed with Scabies, hot hot water wash everything, take all stuffed animals and any clothing or bedding such as pillows that can not be washed and put them in plastic trash bags and stick them outside for about a month (sorry) Vaccuum all the time, and if you have a vac with a canister and not a bag, take it outside to empty it out into a trash bag or else they can get back onto the furniture in the house. I know it is a horrible thing to go through, sad that it happened in school, but like lice in school, this does happen occasionally and there really isn't much you can do about it.
    Dianne1259

Answer by Dianne1259 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I had scabies about 15 yrs ago. The Dr. will give you a lotion. You get a hot bath then apply the lotion from your toes up to your neck. Within a day or two they will be completely gone. Good luck.
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 9:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• this is very contagious, but listen to the moms ok my dd had a rash & i took her to the dr k his "nurse" said it was scabies, turns out it was only poision oak, it's very scary but keeping him home wont help him, just go to the dr & get the cream.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• We went through it here. It makes you itch like crazy! If you end up having to get the lotion, use it as directed, otherwise you won't kill the mites or eggs and you'll go through another cycle.

Good luck, and I hope the problem clears up soon at the school.
    Anonymous