I am not a cook at all and it's frustrating. Two questions. adult content

How can I learn how to cook healthy easy stuff without having that gift that some people have when throwing stuff together? No time or money for lessons. And get freaked out when cooking meat, chicken, fish, etc b/c I never feel like they are done enough and end up over cooking.

Second, What are some simple, quick , easy, healthy things I can make for lunch for the 2.5 year old while a 2 month old is around as well?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 12:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Go onto www.allrecipes.com. There are literally thousands of recipes, of all kinds, healthy, vegan, whatever you could ever imagine on there. It's my "go-to" when my family wants something different. I use it all the time. Hope it helps. You can even adjust the amounts in a recipe to fit the number of people you are cooking for.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 12:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Look-up recipes online! I am a very good cook, but I wasn't at first! It took a lot of practice and terrible tasting food to get good at it. Now, I am one of those throw it all together people. As for healthy, I don't fry anything, I use a lot of beans, we always have veges with our meals.
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 12:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Try and watch some cooking shows, it will help you learn tricks and techniques. Some of my favs on the food network are The Barefoot Contessa and Everyday Italian. On the Cooking channel I love Jaime at Home... you won't like all the things they make, but you'll learn chopping techniques, how to tell when things are done, what tools to use, etc. For a beginner cook, you may have some luck with Semi-Homemade on the Food Network. And while I can't stand Rachel Ray, her shows would probably give you great tips as well. Once you are feeling confident to try something, definitely try out http://www.allrecipes.com/ they have great recipes that have been rated, I won't even try a recipe unless it has 4.5 stars...and if you read the reviews, you get tons of tips.  You can search recipes all different ways, main dishes, side dishes, slow cooker, ingredients you have on hand, etc...

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Okay. I can't usually throw stuff together but I can follow a recipe. Recipes are your friend! (As you do more, you will learn more what you can add/subtract/change about a recipe.) Allrecipes.com is a good site. You can often put in the ingredients you want and they'll bring up the recipes for those ingredients.

A crockpot is also your friend. If you don't have one, get one. With minimal skill you can have awesome great meals with a crockpot. (There is a crockpot group here on CM that has weekly menus as well, check it out.)

Lunch for child, I'll leave that to someone else :)

Good luck!

LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 12:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• One of the easiet things is to cook chicken in your crockpot! Cook a bunch at the beginning of the months(boneless breast work really well) then you can throw it in things during the week. Super easy!

You can check out cookbooks from the library and try out some easy recipes!

For your 2.5 year old. Shread some chicken and serve with frozen veggies and fruit. Make a melty cheese roll up in a wheat shell with fruit(add meat if needed) . Make some whole wheat make and cheese( I have aGREAT recipe...send me a msg if you would like it) you can add culliflower or broccli right in!!!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Pick up a copy of Clean Eating magazine. There are lots of health recipes on there that are healthy. Also, Tosca Reno has some cookbooks that are all clean. Foodnetwork.com has Ellie Krieger recipes (she's not only a chef, she's a nutritionist). Get a meat thermometer. I cook all the time, but I'm terrible about overcooking meat because I'm paranoid about it being undercooked. A meat thermometer will help. Don't be afraid to test veggies and pasta and such before calling it good.
    If you don't know about clean eating, ask me. It's not a diet, but a way to eliminate sugar and additives without losing flavor. Great way to feed the kids!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• When in doubt, pull the crock pot out! lol..its hard to screw up a crock pot meal. There are some slow cooker groups here in cm with tons and tons of receipes. Have fun!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I ditto the crock pot!
    Also Allrecipes.com, cooks.com and kraftrecipes.com are wonderful sites.

Plus, practice makes perfect! I had to teach myself how to cook because my mom hated to, everything she made came from a box! Now I get compliments all the time on my cooking.
    zoeysmom331

Answer by zoeysmom331 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Okay, a couple of things for the kiddo. Roast a couple of chicken thighs (coat with olive oil, season with salt, pepper, and thyme. Put in a baking dish in a 375 degree oven for 45 mins.) and shred them. Put the meat in a container in the fridge. This is unbelievably useful to have around. Grab a handful and mix with some cheese, cooked rice, and veggies and warm up. Voila! Super easy, fairly healthy, pretty yummy!

And I totally empathize with your plight. For a long time I couldn't cook to save my life. I regularly screwed up Hamburger Helper. I started getting better by learning a couple of easy things (one of the first was my moms green bean casserole). Once I had those mastered, I moved on to slightly more complicated things. Here's the thing about proteins: some can be served rare, and if something is undercooked, you can always cook it more. You cant uncook.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 1:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would go to allrecipes.com- You can find any recipe there. You can even put in the ingredients you have and it will find a recipe for you. The other thing that I use alot is the "make ahead meals" You can do so many things (healthy too) and freeze them and that can help with those lunches for your little one. I make mine on Sundays when my husband is home and sometime he can even help. If you don't feel like you have the "gift" just start out with the recipes that have only a few ingredients and once you have some confidence move on to alittle more difficult recipe.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2010