Can I eat sushi rolls while pregnant?

I love sushi rolls...and have craved them since before we found out we were pregnant (6 weeks)...anyway, I was wondering what my options are...I know I can eat the California roll..but is there anything else I can eat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldnt eat anything with raw fish in it but there are some some you can eat
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would stay away from all sushi, even California rolls, because any tainted fish will get on the knives and cutting boards in the kitchen and can transfer over to what you're eating. Or make them yourself at home, without raw fish.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I didnt with either of my pregnancies. I missed it too. If Im craving a california roll but cant get to one, I will make rice and put soy sauce on it,,,lol. I know not much help, but it does taste pretty good!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I LOVE sushi as well, but didn't have any while pregnant...too afraid of the "what ifs".......
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't eat raw fish while pregnant. Too many risks in my opinion.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would say no. Although the chances of getting a parasitic infection from eating sushi are slim, the consequences are severe enough that you wouldn't want to take the risk.
    Parasites live in the meat of raw fish. While sushi chefs are very careful, that doesn't mean they detect every single parasite. And because pregnancy suppresses your immune system, you're much more susceptible to serious illness from any food-borne organism.
    A parasitic infection probably couldn't get through the placental barrier, but a parasitic infection could give you liver or gastrointestinal problems that might then affect your baby. Some parasitic infections can lead to anemia or serious malnourishment in the mother or even cause miscarriage.
    There's also the risk of eating fish that has a marine toxin in it. Bluefish, mackerel, mahi-mahi, and tuna can carry a histamine toxin that may cause flushing, dizziness, and burning of the mouth and throat.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 7:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Cooked, yes; raw, no. Raw sushi may contain bacteria that can make you sick during pregnancy. Since your immune system is suppressed during pregnancy your body won't attack the growing fetus, but this means you're more susceptible to getting sick from food.
    A food-borne illness could lead to symptoms as minor as a mild bout of the flu or severe enough to cause miscarriage or other fetal damage.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 7:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2010