Is it a good idea to put oatmeal inside baby bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I say that it is a bad Idea,How old is your baby? because the baby while sucking can asperate it, the food can go the wrong way or get too much at a time, get in lungs, can choke. It also makes babies lazy later on when you shuld be introducing them to new foods! But i guess it wouldn't do too much harm to sprinkle a little in the bottle, The best thing is to feed them with spoon Because it helps them learn how to use their jaws which will also help them later on for talking! Oh and for the time you do sprinkle a little bit in a bottle to help baby get a lil fuller i would use rice cereal not oatmeal oatmeal is much thicker and easier to eat with spoon. Hope this helped a little bit! I never fed my DD with bottle just spoon. from 3 months old, but you shouldn't until baby can at least sit up alone or with a lil help and not falling over. Sorry I'm not much of help but hope it helps!
    Maelynn & Trinity Schramko!
    Schramko

Answer by Schramko at 2:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• NO DON'T DO IT bottles are for drinking, not food. I have friends that did this trying to get more sleep at night and their child developed bad GERD problems and needed medication, had growth issues, etc No solids until 6 months. Then it should come as solid food- on a spoon not in a bottle
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 2:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I have had alot of people tell me to do that just to get them started like at 3 or 4 months but at WIC. they told me thats one the most comon mistakes and is not good for the baby. I would just wait till they're ready and can hold themselfs up to eat out of a spoon
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 2:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My daughter's doctor actually told me to put a teaspoon of rice cereal in her 4 oz bottle. It makes the milk a little heavier so that they don't spit up as much, and it will keep them full longer so you might only have to get up once in middle of the night to feed her. The main concern is making sure your baby doesn't get full on the cereal, they need the formula or breast milk for nutrition. I would hold off and ask you pediatrician.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• By the way, my daughter that had rice cereal in her bottle is 7 now, so maybe this is something that's changed since then.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• the dr. told me the same thing for both my children..just a teaspoon..they're 2 and 3 and nothing bad happened..and im gonna do it with my next baby...just make sure its rice cereal..not oatmeal
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:09 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• gerber oatmeal rice cereal is fine but do not use regular oatmeal
    2008mommy

Answer by 2008mommy at 3:20 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Cereal in a bottle is antiquated advice.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:21 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• ONE: NO
    TWO: THIS IS IN THE 1 TO 2 YEAR OLD SECTION, YOUR BABY NEEDS TO BE EATING ALL FOODS FROM A SPOON AT THIS TIME
    THREE: HE SHOULD BE GOING TOWARD THE SIPPIE CUP AND AWAY FROM THE BOTTLE AT THIS POINT

GOOD LUCK
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 3:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• my oldest daughter is sixteen and when she was an infant they told you to put like a teaspoon or two of rice cereal in their bottles and it did work but now they tell you not to do that and they tell you not to put them on their bellies or to give them water well it didn't hurt sixteen years ago but if you are going to do it don't use oatmeal use rice cereal
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2008