Do you fly a Christian flag?

KING, N.C. – The Christian flag is everywhere in the small city of King: flying in front of barbecue joints and hair salons, stuck to the bumpers of trucks, hanging in windows and emblazoned on T-shirts.

The relatively obscure emblem has become omnipresent because of one place it can't appear: flying above a war memorial in a public park.

The city council decided last month to remove the flag from above the monument in Central Park after a resident complained, and after city leaders got letters from the American Civil Liberties Union and Americans United for the Separation of Church and State urging them to remove it.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There would be no division if the flag were removed. There would be nothing there to divide.

Now, as far as flying a flag to represent the faiths of every soldier who died defending our freedoms (like the ones listed in the First Amendment, for example), how would we go about determining that?  It's kind of hard to poll dead people.

The park is public property.  Religious symbols, commandments, etc., do not belong on public property.  Remove the flag.  Having it there is what's divisive.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'll be... I didn't know such a thing existed either.... But, I think they were right to remove it from the memorial. Not everybody represented by that memorial was a Christian, so why should it be there? Either represent EVERY religion (or non-religion, is there such a thing as an agnostic/atheist flag?) or none at all.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Why would they fly a christian flag over the memorial and not every religion and represent every faith. Who is to say that all the soliders that gave thier lives and where respected with that Memorial where christian? What gives christianity more importance than any other belief? I can not believe the audacity of some of these ppl...

ThaSs

Answer by ThaSs at 1:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• No, but I would. We aren't supossed to be "secert service Christians." As far as King goes, I'm also glad they are staning up for what they believe in. And yes, if the memorial is also for people of other beliefs, fly their flag. I just think our country has gotten to PC..and it's making us divided.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 2:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• "nd will be praying that the Anti Christian Litigation Unit (ACLU) will have to shut the heck up!"

You do realize that the ACLU has also defended Christians? Check this out from procon.org:

http://aclu.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000687

Answer by gdiamante at 2:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Didn't know there was such a thing.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I never knew there was a christian flag and I would never fly one outside of my home because I am not christian. Although I would not have a fit if it was outside of a store or someones home. I would not be tohappy if it was outside a government building because they have the seperation of church and state for a reason. But businesses are not run by the government so I dont see why that should matter to me. I would be a bit offended if it was outside of a courthouse or something like that.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Last I checked you are NOT the judgement of who is Christian and who isn't... One's religion is between them and their God.. We are all human and God accepts us.. Faults and all... Or, in your little mind~ do you think you are God?

Answer by grlygrlz2 an hour ago

-----------------------------
    No, but I know "mean" when I see it and she is one mean nasty *itch, no love in her heart as Christians seem to think they have for all. And I am not pretending to be a Christian. She does, Unless, there is such a thing as a mean caustic sarcastic Christian.

I am, just me. She is a hypocrite.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• "everything to do with Christianity went out the window! "
    Really? Then please explain to me how in the world I have seen 5 or 6 salvation hotline commercials in the last 2 months! Or how everything is still "Under God" when it wasn't ORIGINALLY there. Please, explain these things to me. I am DYING to hear.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• For the record, the ACLU doesn't go around looking for violations of the First Amendment. They are usually contacted by a complainant, and look into the case before agreeing to take it on. There must be some indication that rights are being violated before they will agree to accept a case.

Placing religious flags on a monument in a public space is a violation of the First Amendment.  Really.  It is that simple. 

Want to go to church and pray for the soldiers who are represented by that statue?  Go ahead.  No one is trampling on your rights.  The ACLU is protecting them.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2010