What do you do when timeout seems to be no big deal to them?

My daughter is almost 4 and oh my is she a pistol!! I've been doing timeouts since she turned 2 years old and she just flat out doesn't care. She does something wrong or something that i've told her NOT to do a million times and when I tell her to go to time out she is like "Okay" with a smile on her face. She goes and sits in her corner staring at the wall very nonchalantly until time out is finished, we have our talk about why she was there, and then she leaves the corner and goes right back to what she was doing! I swear i've had her in and out of time out about 20 plus times a day and every time the reaction is the same. She has a TV in her bedroom and I take that out as well when she does these repetitive things that she knows she shouldnt do and that has no affect on her as well. She just doesn't care about any form of punishment what so ever. I don't even think she sees it as she is being punished. What to do?!?!

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Then its time to get creative. You need to find her thumb screw. For my 4 yr old, its his movies + manual labor. I give a warning then take his movies. He has to earn them back one at a time. IT works out quite well. I got all the baseboards cleaned in playroom yesterday. He moaned and groaned the whole time, but I just casually drank my coffee guarding the door in the play room while he scrubbed away with his bucket of water (with a fe drops of dishsoap) and a sponge. He started acting up today and whacking his baby brother. I asked him if he wanted to loose another movie and scrub the kitchen cabinets. He decided he would play nice with is brother. Oh well... the cabinets can wait a few more days to get cleaned. =P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• well, TO really don't work...especially for kids under 4. i give my son choices for everything from positive to negative. When he is starting to misbehave I will say something like, "I see you are chooising not to watch your afternoon shows." He will respond, "Yes, i want to watch." Then I will tell him that if he chooses to watch his show than he needs to stop his bead behavior. "You can either choose watching a show or jumping on the bed." On the positive side have her choose her clothes, cups, plates, shoes, foods etc. it gives her a sens of control. if he hits me (which is rare) i take him by both his hands and get to his level and tell him it is NOT ok to hist Mommy. Talk about what he was feeling when he it and what he could do INSTEAD of hitting to solve the problem. It's not easy, believe me. There are times I put him his room for a semi TO so i don't loose my cool, but generally try to stick with words
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010