Depression---What am I going to do?

I feel so depressed all the time, but I hide it well. Atleast from my children. Hubby knows I am down alot. I have been a SAHM for 7 years and feel like there is nothing else to me anymore. There is no "me", if that makes sense--only Mom, wife, housekeeper, etc.

Anyone else feel this way and what helps you lift your spirits?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Health

• ME!!! Ive been a stay at home mom for almost 5 years, but been at home before my dd even came a long, so its actually been about 5 1/2 yeras ive been staying home...I am trying to enlist in the army reserves so i can have something that is MINE and defines me. I LOVE being a mom and all but I need something else...in the meantime though maybe some counseling or medicine can help you out?
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm in the same boat with you. I struggle a lot with it. I originally started the SAHM thing 5 and 1/2 years ago. When my daughter was 24mo I went back to work. That only lasted about a year (until the next one came along. I'm not grand w/math so I'm not sure exactly how long). It was the best time I had being a mom. Work let me be me. Don't get me wrong I do love my kids and love knowing they are safe but I do miss me. We moved to a new state 18 months ago and its been lonely. I don't have a spirit lifter. Some days are okay, some are not. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. =)
    luv2mum

Answer by luv2mum at 1:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I have been a SAHM for ten years. I wasn't depressed, except right after giving birth, but I did have a 'what now?' moment. I made food, washed the dishes that we ate the food on. I cleaned house only to watch it get dirty again and my life didn't feel at all like the life I'd dreamed about as a teenager. So I did something kinda nutty and wholly irresponsible. I wrote a book. I'd always wanted to write a book and I wrote several as a kid, mostly about my cats. But, I didn't just write, I wrote with the intention of getting published. Having a goal and something to work towards really helped me. I bet there is something you always wanted to do and if you thought about it you could start. You could take a class, join a club, start a blog about cupcake baking or your love of John Hamm.

Also, your children know you are sad. Talk about it, it's okay to not always be happy. We mom's are our own worst enemies.
    samitestar

Answer by samitestar at 1:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Well, I just came out of a bad depression and it happened just as sudden as i went into it. What changed it for me was not thinking positive but actually feeling positive about everything. How did that happen? Well, I am the black sheep in my family so besides my daughter and her father i dont really have family. Yesterday when I needed some help from my dad and he didnt answer i called my aunt. My aunt came through and helped me in my situation and has been helping me so much the last two days. She has made me feel good, like i am worth helping. And even just feeling like that spread like a wildfire through my mind and uplifted me in every area of my life and all of my problems that looked like a dead end before have a light at the end of the tunnel now. What I am getting to is you have to feel worth while, secure, and like you can be a success. Set goals and stick to them-makes you feel good too.
    cra.z_krisy

Answer by cra.z_krisy at 1:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I used to.....You need to find something to be excited about that is just yours that you don't have to share with hubby or children....you give so much of yourself that you are losing that special spark that is just you......think back, what did you used to do or dream about....art? travel? music? it doesn't have to be anything fancy or romantic or impressive to anyone else, it is just a little of yourself you are going to reserve for you.....something creative, perhaps.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2010