Women of Polygamy....(using SW's as an example)

Why do these women in these relationships think it's ok for their husbands to have 3,4,5....12 wives? "Sister Wives" for example....would it be ok if one of the four wives starting dating another man, to later on add him as her second husband? Or would Kody consider that "cheating"? I just can't wrap my mind around why they think it's ok to be treated that way. To me it's like the husband saying "I love you, but you're not enough for me."...but then he expects him to be enough for her....

HaydensMama07

Asked by HaydensMama07 at 1:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Entertainment

• I completely agree with you. It should be opened all the way around. I wonder if he didn't practice this lifestyle if he would be on his 4th marriage with 3 divorces behind him?
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm right there with you. We may never understand the polygamy ways. I know if I could I'll have more then one husband :D
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• He looks,acts and behaves like a JERK. Sorry, but he is a JERK. I could only stand to watch about 10 minutes of the first episode. WHat is going on with Cable channels nowdays? The stupid reality shows? UGHHHH.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• But I'm also the type of woman who wants NOTHING to do with a second husband. The one I have is to much for me. I'm a very independent person and couldn't imagine ever wanting one more person I had to deal with... I prefer to be alone most of the time and do my own thing, and men are simply to needy... - Which is another benefit to having a second wife, I wouldn't have to be his only answer for sex...

But when it comes down to it my DH isn't interested in another wife. He says he's done with all that... And he kinda sees multiple wives the way I do multiple husbands... He said "Why do I need 3 women nagging me to take out the trash, it's hard enough to ignore one."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Here's the thing... If they weren't okay with it, if they didn't want to live that way, they have the freedom to leave. Just like any other wife has the right to leave her spouse, so do they. Every one of them agreed to this lifestyle, and knew what they were getting in to. I don't understand how anyone can honestly believe it's impossible to love more than one person - there is no limit to a human's capacity to love. We each have different qualities and each of us can love and be loved for different reasons. There is no such thing as the perfect couple, even those who seem to be a perfect match have their mis-steps and disagreements. So it's easy to see (for me anyways) how someone can love one person for one aspect or in one way, and love someone else for other reasons... And how a family unit can place love in the center and grow around it rather than allow negativity to tear them apart...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• A man with multiple wives.. the relationship is known as a polygyny.
    A woman with multiple husbands... the relationship is known as polyandry.
    There are even some relationships that there are multiple wives and husbands... they just call them group marriages.

The polygyny relationship is just the most common that is why you don't hear about the other types as often.
    It actually happens all over the world.... just personal preferences I guess
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• The "I can do it but you can't" attitude is what throws me I guess. I don't see why it's ok for him to have 4 wives, but they can't have relationship with another man....

Yeah, but see, that comes out of THIS FAMILY'S religious beliefs, and I don't feel it's a good representation of Plural Families in general... There are many plural families all over the US who don't think or act that way... It's really something that is different for each family. Some have more than one wife, some have more than one husband, others are two or three couples which "share" and for those with more open sexuality, it can get even more "complicated." It's just that THIS family follows a religion which endorses and teaches ONE form of polygamy rather than embracing the others.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't get it either. Honestly, though, I love my husband immensly but I have no desire to have another one. One husband is enough work, maybe if wives were as much work as hubands the tables would turn. LOL
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It's just a different culture and different way of thinking. Not all cultures marry for love. I would not like to be in a polygamous relationship, but that's because I'm American and I like the American culture.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It depends on the beliefs of the people involved. I would have no issue with my husband taking a second wife, I have been encouraging him to start dating someone else. I don't believe people are meant to be monogamous, and I see many great benefits to having more than one wife in a family. That said, I see nothing wrong with a woman having more than one husband, and actually used to talk to a woman who had more than one... It worked for them, they were very happy that way. I do find the attitude of "I can do it but you can't" to be very hypocritical, and I dislike that view of Plural Families, BUT, if it works for those involved, that's really all that matters. I think you have to be a very strong woman to be in a multi-wife family, that said, I am a very strong woman and would happily take a back seat once in a while in return for help with the house, the kids, the hubby and the freedom to have my own career...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2010