The B.R.A.T. Diet

I was just wondering if there are variations to this diet. My children have been sick. The oldest (3 years) one has had diarriah for 10 days and my youngest (17 months) was throwing up all last weekend to the point of having to end up in the E.R.
When I took them to the ped. , she said they should be on this diet. (Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast or crackers) I think the kids are tired of eating this and I was wondering if there are other things that follow this guideline that they could eat? Also, she said for themonly to drink Pedilyte, Gatorade, gingr ale and 7-Up.

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 1:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Try yogurt? That helps diarrhea, but every kid is different.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Also watch the sugar in those drinks because that can dehydrate as well. Try G2 instead of Gatorade or water them down.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Well I know the B.R.A.T is to keep their diet bland (at least I think so), so I'm not entirely sure what other things you could incorporate - in all honesty I never followed it to a T. I gave them peanut butter on their toast, gave them graham crackers, cheerios, noodles, flavored oatmeal.

As far as the throwing up and diarriah, you definitely need to keep them hydrated. My youngest got RotaVirus when he was 1, and to make sure he was hydrated I made him popsicles, out of pedialyte and juice.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• No Yogurt! No dairy products!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Mine says the BRATTY diet. Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Tea, Toast, and Yogurt. As long as it is bland and you are watching their intake of sugary drinks then you are pretty much good to go. Make sure you keep them hydrated, but I would be a little worried about 10 days of diarrhea.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Just experiment a little and see what stays down, then you can add to it as you go. That was always the first rule of thumb for me. Once they can start keeping the brat diet down, I would add soup, crackers and go from there. the whole idea is to get their tummys settled and the brat diet works best for that..no yogurt or dairy! Not for awhile
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would do the gatorade or even pediaty. Crackers are good. But could try dried cereal, pepperment helps, also just learned that ginger snap cookies help with the getting sick. Gum, toast, applesauce, just plain breadstick if tired of toast. And if anything does not help take them back to the doctor cause maybe more going on then you know.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I was told by my ped that anything starchy is binding and helps slow diareah. I feel so bad for your babies! I had a stomach virus Tuesday, I'm praying my babies don't get it!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2010