Natural Birth

With my first son it was all natural mainly because by the time i got to the hospital i was fully dilated so i couldn't take another. well I have done the research and i decided that i want to do that again. I want to have a natural birth with baby number two. Well I told my best friend this and she started in saying that I'm crazy for doing it again. So my question why does that make me crazy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No clue. I had an epidural with my first baby, and went natural with my second. I would choose natural over an epidural any day. I had many people tell me during my 2nd pregnancy that I was crazy, and that I wouldn't be able to manage it without medication, including the OB I had at the time. I switched after he laughed in my face over it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• She just thinks you are crazy for going through the pain and dealing with it naturally. I have done it both ways and will have an epidural again. Do I think you are crazy? No it is your choice and it is the choice you feel comfortable with so who cares what other people think. Personally I think epidurals are awesome!!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Because ladies now a days, don't care to research...they assume just because a doc A-Ok's it then it must be fine. They don't believe in even thinking about trying to go natural because their are drugs available.

Honestly, when I had my son, I went natural because i wanted to. It was awesome and not nearly as bad as it's made out to be. I plan on using a midwife and home or birth center birth next time. I want as close to non clinical as I can achieve.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I don't think it makes you crazy at all... Especially since you've done it before already, and obviously didn't have any problems with it. I think for a lot of people, they feel that since pain medication (especially the epidural) is available, you SHOULD use it.... I had an epidural the first time around, thinking "well, the less pain, the better", and ended up with a c-section. Not because of the epidural, mind you, but because my son's big head and the position it was in prevented him from ever even entering the birth canal. I'm currently pregnant again, and I'm actually leaning towards a more natural approach this time. I'm not completely against pain medication, but I don't want the epidural, because I want to be able to move around and use different positions other than being flat on my back.

I think whatever works for you, is what you should go for!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Doesn't make you crazy. My first delivery was natural and went a lot smoother than the second in which I had meds.
    rain408

Answer by rain408 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Nothing. I had a natural birth & i enjoyed being able to FULLY experience childbirth. I have honestly found other things to be much more painful. I was just so ready & so gun ho, that i didn't really care about the pain. I think most of it is in our head. If we're freaked out & scared, it's going to seem more painful. If you're brave & stay mentally grounded the whole time, i think it would hurt less.

If and when i have my next, there is no doubt in my mind that i'm going all natural. I did it once, i know i can do it again. I just loved the whole experience, but i am one tough bitch...lol.

You're friend should mind her own business. Some people talk crap about natural births, because they werent able to...or willing to have one themselves.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Because some people believe that there are 0 side effects to the drugs and interventions and any woman who chooses to feel the pain is crazy. I had many friends and family tell me I would be begging for that epidural! Well I had two births with no meds and very little interventions and I LOVED them. The second was back labor and she came out upside down to boot. As long as the patient is informed of the possible side effects to both mom and baby and they still chose the drugs/interventions etc then that is their decision. I also had a couple family members who refused to speak to me for a few months after birthing my first because they heard through the grapevine I had done natural and planned to again and I think they were embarrassed about how much they pushed the fact that I would be begging for the epidural!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i don't think your crazy but then again i about had one kid in the car, one in the hall way of the hospital, and one kid's head was born in the car so even if i wanted anything there was no way ( to be honest the pain isn't as bad as most say it is, I'd rather give birth any day then to have a monthly period they hurt me worse then giving birth LOL )

pinkrayn

Answer by pinkrayn at 1:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I had natural with both because of the reasons you mentioned. I didn't have an option but I wouldn't get an epidural anyway. I would have choses to have the IV meds but if I had to do it again I would probably go natural.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• A lot of family members thought I was nuts too when I decided to have a natural homebirth a year and a half ago. Little did they know, I was about to have the most powerful experience in my life. It was safer for my baby, extremely peaceful, and empowering. I took this experience as a right of passage and every experience after that with my baby didn't seem like a horribly difficult task...like breastfeeding for example. I had a C section with my first child and learned from that experience that docs don't always know best when it comes to childbirth. My midwife was much more knowledgable and completely put me at ease before and during the birth of my second child. The ironic thing is that after the birth all the naysayers called me their "hero" and completely changed their opinion about medicalized childbirth. Do what's right in your heart. It's hard to go against the crowd in such a mainstream world but don't let that stop u
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 1:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2010