does anyone still have the same relationship with parents that they have always had

I feel I do not have the same relationship with parents like used to. My sister leaves 4 miles away and they take them to dinner, go to kids things, holidays etc. They say they keep things fair. They talked about hers and my family going to disney but taking just her family. They say wait till girls get older but her boys are not to far from the ages of my girls. Then mom will be state and will get together will me for lunch but not even see the girls. I feel do not have the same relationship as kids. and Not even the same between me and my sisters. Help any one in same boat? just me? Just cause i leave in another state? normal? or just parents and adult kids relaionships do chance?

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 1:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• Hell No
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 2:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I lost my mother a little over a year ago to cancer. Our relationship was better than ever. I never knew My dad. I guess that's why my mom and I were so close.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My mom and I did NOT get along when growing up. I was a daddy's girl. But now things are totally different...she is one of my best friends and my dad and I are very.....different. I would hate not having my mom to talk to. Do you call her often? You said you are in a different state.....I was for 7 hours away from my family for about 5 years and I called my mom daily pretty much. The distance might have something to do with it though since she sees your sister more.
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Me personally...

Of course not.

I'm no longer a child.. I'm a 48 year old woman, who has lived a life, raised a child of her own..etc..etc.. My parents are in their 70's travelling around the country and enjoying their "golden years". It would be impossible for my parents and I to have the same relationship we did when I was growing up. To expect my parents to view me as they viewed me when I was a child, treat me as such, etc.. Would be a pointless exercise on my part. I don't view my parents or treat them the same way I did as a child. They are living their lives, and I am living mine. That's life, I've grown, changed, ventured into the world, created my own life to live. My relationship with my parents has evolved and changed over the years, just as I have.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My mom and I went through a period when I was in my teens and early 20's where we got along like BFFs. Then my kids got a little older and she started distancing herself from me. Now,we can't seem to spend ANY time around each other that she doesn't ruin half of them: make excuses to get out of it, cut it short, or generally make it uncomfortable.
    I never know how she's going to react when I try to talk to her. Sometimes, she's the same person she was, the other half she snaps at me or says something mean, and I am just supposed to "take it" without complaint. She even texted me and bitched me out on my last birthday, then texted me a few hours later to say Happy Birthday like nothing happened.

I miss her terribly, but anymore I *dread* having to talk to her, because I know the conversation is going to end with me more hurt and/or crying.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• nope .. mines better with my mom now im not with her evryday
    san78

Answer by san78 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• yes...mom is still a B and step-dad is still my rock!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• when I hit 30 my mom started confiding in me about her past and started treating me more like an adult and less like her kid, then she died when I was 31, so I really miss what it could have been
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2010