To all you ex/smokers...

So my husband just started smoking after 4 months of nonsmoking. Something about being too stressed out...which we have been. He says that after this last pack he is going to quit again. Well the problem is that I am not sure I can go through it again. I don't mean to sound selfish but he gets REALLY cranky and mean. Before, it would always seem as if he'd try to quit when I was pregnant (which makes sense) but I would be really sensitive and he'd just make me cry alot. He's tried everything from the patch to the lozenge. We have spent so much money. It would be so worth it if he would quit for good. But he quit now for 4 months and then decided to start again!! It was all for nothing! I guess the biggest problem is that I have no idea what he is going through. Maybe if I did I could do something to help him out. Is it really that hard to quit? Or do you think he doesn't really want to?

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 2:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Health

• I started smoking when I was 11 quit when I was 24, I tried to quit so many times and it failed. In july 2006 I stopped and my husband an I moved, October came and I started getting stressed out at work and the first thing I thought of was a cigarette would be great, but I kept my cool 3 days later I found out I was pregnant with our first and then I had no choice I had to stay smoke free for the health of my child. Anyways it does get easier as it goes but that first 6 months is the hardest and it takes a lot of willpower, good luck to your husband and no matter what please support him, support really matters in something like this, granted yes he will become cranky but it's only temporary and you are lengthening his life!
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 2:56 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Married2theBest: So do you think that even though he smoked about 2 packs that he can still go back to quitting without using something? Or do you think that he'll have to use the lozenge (which is what helped him quit this last time) again?
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 3:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Thanks for the advice by the way.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 3:03 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• It's a battle and really hard to quit. My most successful time quiting was for 7 months. My husband has been smoke free for 8 months now, and I relapsed and started smoking again about 4 months ago. If my husband picks on me about smoking it irritates me and makes me smoke more so he's laid off. I'm cutting down with the hope of quiting again. The magic trick I've discovered is that the craving will only last for 3-5 minutes. I feel like I can handle being strong for that long. The only time I have a problem is when there are people smoking around me. I also smoke outside, and it was negative 4 this morning so that helps.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:09 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Everyone is different, I quit cold turkey and my husband said I was just unbearable, which of course I was I was having nicotine withdrawls, if the lozenger helps him then I would suggest he do that, I personally wouyld rather spend the money to help him quit and kick the habit than pay for the cigarettes btw your very welcome!!!
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 3:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• He is always around people that smoke at work :(
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 3:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I truly believe if someone wants to quit they will. It's just the will power to do so. Before I married my hubby he smoked 3 packs a day and one day he decided we was going to quit after he last pack. I said yeah right! But he did cold turkey. He hasn't smoked since 99. Once in awhile he will even comment about the smell of smoke from other people or if we are out and come home and the smoke is on our clothes about how he can't even believe he smoked and how he must have smelled all the time.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 8:01 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I have quit smoking 3 times.  I can tell you right now that not only is it extremely hard to do but no one will successfully quit unless they have the desire to do so. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• It's very hard to quit. I have quit twice. (and couple other times for a week here and there, but 2 times for significant periods). I can't stand the smell of smoke, but there are still times when I just want to smoke. The first time I quit cold turkey when pregnant. The second I used Chantix. It worked wonderful! Maybe it's something your dh should check out. I loved it. I have been smoke free for over a year now. I only took the pills for a couple weeks, but some people take it for several months. It made me a little nauseated after taking it, but I hear taking it with food helps. It's expensive though and some insurance dosen't cover it. So that may be something to consider.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 9:39 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I quit in october 2005 and haven't started back. I just cut down alot and was down to one a day, then quit. My husband smokes outdside but sometimes when I go outside I smell it and it makes me want one. I'm not gonna let a little stick of tobacco take control of me. My cousin and her husband quit last year along with her brother and wife too. My husbands bestfriend quit like 2 yrs ago too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Oct. 29, 2008