How do you keep your kids from getting out a doorway, inside or outside?

I'm not a mom, but a student and U of I, and am working on a project on child safety. I often have babysat for my church and have always had problems with the door handle covers, and feel like they are very problematic. What are other ways that you keep kids from getting out doors? Do you use gates for open door ways also? I would really like to design something to help all the mothers out there!

e-uiuc

Asked by e-uiuc at 2:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just put an extra lock up high, so my 3yr old cant reach it, He is pretty to learn how to unlock items. For open doorways, I dont block him from anything, my house is baby/toddler proof.
    ThaSs

Answer by ThaSs at 2:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We have door handle covers on the the laundry room and the back door that leads to the garage. We also have a curved gate that blocks both the bottom of the stairs and the front door.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I have a chain on top of the door. This makes me feel a lot safer when I need to shower and what not. I don't worry about the kids opening the door and going outside while im taking a shower.
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 2:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Thanks for the quick feedback! Do any of you have problems with the safety locks or chains you use? Have you used anything before that didnt work well?
    e-uiuc

Comment by e-uiuc (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2010