How do you help a teen threw their first real heart break?

cry1017

Asked by cry1017 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• All you can do is love them and give them their space if they need it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I agree with Anna.. just be there to support them.. don't down play the feelings or make them feel like its not "real"
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Giving them space when they need it is very hard! All I want to do is fix it!!!
    cry1017

Comment by cry1017 (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Oh, man. That first heart break is really the worst. I think there are really only two ways to help. First is just talking about it, letting them talk about their feelings, but WITHOUT trying to convince them that everything will be fine and there are other fish in the sea, etc, etc. At that age it just feels like the world is ending and no one will ever be that great for you, etc. Teens don't have the experience we adults have to know that there will be other boyfriends/girlfriends and trying to convince them will just make them think you don't understand. I think you just have to let them be sad and talk it thru. The other thing is to distract, distract, disctract. Now is the time for mother/daughter shopping days or father/son basketball games, going out bowling or watching movies together- anything to get them to stop pining away. Good luck. It's such a tough time for a teen.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• first and for most listen and do not judge right away. let the teen know you know what they feel like and maybe tell them a story on how your heart got broken. let the teen know life goes on and there is way move fish in the sea so the world isnt over. at the moment is tough and sad but in the end they will find happieness.
    mommymamamom

Answer by mommymamamom at 2:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My mom always told me they were "practice boyfriends." It didn't really help at the time, but as I got older, it made a lot more sense!
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 9:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• all you can do is be there and be very supportive.
    momma201176

Answer by momma201176 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My fifteen year old had her first heart break last week. We even got a call from the school she was threatening suicide. I simply laid down with her on her bed and talked to her and said "Honey I am so sorry i know this is so hard, I love you and I am really sorry". I offer to let her talk about it and LISTEN. I did not give critical judgment or advice at this time. Teens during this time need to be heard not spoken to. She was absolutely fine the next day, because I simply listened and reminded her that I loved her so much and I was so sorry for the break up. I think that really helped her feel wanted, loved, and cared for it helps her over come the break up. BTW they dated over a year too.
    iluv2meow

Answer by iluv2meow at 1:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2010