Regarding all the "bump me" questions

I've noticed a lot these questions the last couple of days, such as "Bump if you like plaid!" or "Bump if you have a pulse!"

I assume these are all asked by people who want to earn the Stellar Question award for getting 50 bumps on one of your questions. Our policy is that questions that beg for bumps belong in Crazy for Credits, but I don't think we've been great at enforcing this.

Do you find these types of questions fun or annoying? Should we do more to limit them?

Here are some options I've thought of:

1. Remove the Stellar Question award because it's too hard to get without begging for bumps
2. Make the Stellar Question award easier to earn (maybe make it 25 bumps for a question, so "real" questions have a chance)
3. Allow "bump me" questions outside of Crazy for Credits
4. Keep the current policy, but enforce it better

What do you think? If this a problem, what should be done?

Cafe BTC

Asked by Cafe BTC at 2:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Lower it and stick it in "Crazy for credits"
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I guess I'd remove the stellar question award. The thing is that questions that are just begging for votes are NOT stellar, so it takes away the whole meaning. I'm assuming the stellar award was meant to be for a question that was particularly thought-provoking or interesting.
    But the whole Crazy For Credits area has kind of taken away the meaning of the credits and awards anyway, KWIM? There are lots of people who never really answer any actual question but have insane amounts of credits. I suppose it's just not really worth worrying about either way.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would actually vote for 2. I think that 50 bumps for a general question is impossible, even if there is quite a bit of buzz on the question. So reducing the number of bumps needed would be a first step. I have no problems with them being outside of the designated Crazy for Credits but that is just me, I can easily choose to ignore them if I want to.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I agree with #2 Its hard to get 50 especially if they are moved to crazy credits where they will get lost in the chaos
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• remove the award. it's pretty much impossible to get w/o begging for and that defeats the purpose,doesn't it? I've never seen a legitimate question get more than 5-10 bumps MAX.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I think it's all in fun and wouldn't worry about it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• lower it and keep it strictly in crazy for credits if not have a penalty of losing points or something
    san78

Answer by san78 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Doesn't bother me at all. If I don't want to answer or bump a question, I don't... That goes for these types to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• yes, give the people something worth bumping
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 2:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes I just want the points from an answer and a bump. Just avoid those questions.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2010