what can i sue for?

our dog was killed by another dog and we know that we can get compensated for the vet bills but can we ask for the cost of the dog? so that we can get another when we are ready to have another with us. it feels so odd for us only to have 2 now rather then the 3 but were not quite ready to replace her but the void is just so strong. is there anything else that we should be compensated for? she was also a breeder? although had not been bred yet

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Pets

• I think you can get the cost of the dog. You need to look up your state's dog laws and there should be info in there.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 2:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Why get sue happy? Just sue for the vet bills and the cost of the dog.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• What kinda dog killed your dog? I would hope that that dog would be put down. That dog could do that to a human!

You could due the owners for something along the lines of "mental, emotional" ya know where i'm going with this...haha
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• it was a pit bull. they assure me it will be put down.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• All depends on the circumstances of what happened (how the dog was killed, who was at fault, and such) Honestly, why sit there and sue for this and that?! It happens. I would ask for the cost of the vet bills and move on with my life.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• If the dog hasn't actually bred yet, you may not get anything for a breeder issue. But you can sue for vet bills and cost of the dog.
    Anonymous

• That's so sad. It just HAD to be a pitbull. They're really nice dogs! Just some are raised not good! :(
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Sorry but even pit bulls from loving homes have been known to turn nasty. It's in their line...I could never own one.
    But everyone is right not get sue happy. This country sees enough of that. I would ask for the vet bils incured during the attack and the cost of the dog if a pure breed. If it was a mutt, maybe at least costs of adoption if going to shelter.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 6:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Depends on the state - vet bills in most every state, dog cost in some (and that will be "reasobable" cost for a dog of that breed, age, etc., probably will not account for the fact that a breeding dog or show dog is "worth" more and typically costs more than the average dog. Very rarely will you be able to get "future use" of the dog (such as for breeding purposes) unless the dog is a top-winning show dog and even then it is really difficult. GL, sorry for your loss, but I think vet bills and maybe, if you are lucky, the replacement cost of the dog is all you will be able to get.
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Its not true that pit bulls from good homes can turn nasty. Most dog attacks are actually German Shepards or terriers!
    Devinenvied

Answer by Devinenvied at 5:57 PM on Oct. 23, 2010