how does strep get into the blood stream?

My daughter has been sick for 5 weeks with bronchitis and a double ear infection...she's been on 3 antibiotics now and we just got blood work back saying she has strep in her blood stream.

How does this happen? Yes, I know I can call the doc office but I was curious if anyone on here knew.

nessani28

Asked by nessani28 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Perhaps if it goes undetected and isn't treated. A person can become a strep carrier that way too.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 2:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm a strep carrier as well - meaning it's in my blood. For most it's not a bad thing, it means we can't get Strep, it's an immunity. Although it can weaken the immune system early on... From what I have been told, it's passed from mother to child during pregnancy or delivery.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I am so sorry, I hope your child gets better soon. It starts in the throat and there r different strains of it. What is the treatment for it when it gets that far?? I will pray for your little girl. It is very serious!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• A couple different ways. From an open wound infected with a bacteria that remains open and unhealed. Like a bedsore. The other way is for the bacteria colonies to grow to such a large count over a period of time from a primary infection that it encompasses everything in the body. Google septicemia and resistent strep. In older patients septicemia and resulting sepsis most often occurs from bedsores and untreated UTI's.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2010