So how much...

Do you think you knew what it was like to have a kid before you actually had one? I recently got into an argument with my sister-in-law (who is a know it all) b/c I said something like 'being a stay at home is harder than working, kids don't let you do anything.' And she was like 'well, duh what did you think it would be like ?' and I said 'well, I didn't know what it would be like, I didn't think about it so much, how can you ever know?' And then she ridiculed me and said 'oh niice, I can't believe you never thought about it, well, I at least do so I know what it will be like.' haha. She is childless for Christ's sake! How would she know how difficult it is to have a kid, much less make me feel bad! And I know for a fact she has never babysat or changed a diaper!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• LOL let her bs go in one ear and out the other! sounds like she acts like a know it all... Being a mom we seem to learn everyday... some dyas it's easy and some days there are challanges! ;) Let her yap all he wants she will never know til she has her own children
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My little brother was born when I was 12 & because my parents were only 17 when I was born, all of their friends kids were much younger than I was, so I was always watching the kids when they had company, or went out. My brother was pretty much my responsibility when I got home from school, so I DID have a pretty good idea what it would be like when I had my 1st child at 21......and even then there were things that I didn't expect.

Your sister is awfully naive to think she KNOWS what it'll be like. I had a friend who gave me a bad time & treated me like I was "flaky" when my kids were younger & I'd have to cancel things because a kid got sick, or rearrange because of child care or other issues. She had her first child at 40 & conveniently seemed to forget all of those things.... motherhood was much harder than she expected.

Don't worry, even if your sister "forgets" that she thought it would be easy, you'll always remember.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• After having a child, I realized how much I judged and generalized other parents with kids before I became a mom. Only after having a child, I realized how incredibly hard it is - whether you are a stay at home mom or work full time.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• eh...I never thought about it either...I figured that it is a learning process and no one can ever know. You just have to learn. When she does have a child though I can guarantee she will think she knows it all but honestly you never do until it happens to you!

4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Yeah, I thought about how my life would change when I had children. I didn't know the extent of parenting until I became a parent.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i have a know it all sis in law as well. i just put my 2 cents in and leave it at that and never argue the point. i know that she gets irritated by it. this way i look superior by not playing her silly i know better then you game. it shows clearly that she has this kind of personality. on facebook her daughter is on it and was posting link for smilie faces and someone commented are they safe. so i commented how would a little girl know this. the girl had said i think they are safe but i don't know. we ll miss know it all said she would know cause her father teaches her computer stuff. so i said well does she or doesn't she know since she said she didn't know! i never commented back after that but i saw that the girl had said they are safe. which is bs cause you can't know if a site is ever safe cause at anytime anyones web site could be infected with something and you just never know. she irritates everybody. just ignore her
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• All I can say is its harder than I thought but all wonderful to...And you should pay attention to someones info if its not how you feel or believe. gl
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• She's in for a real shock. People who try to talk about what it's like to be a parent or especially tell me how to be one that don't have kids are completely clued out in my opinion. I can try to imagine alot of things but until they're really happening, it's called fantasy. She's living in a fantasy world. Don't fall in to the trap of being defensive - just laugh at her ridiculousness because that's all it is...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I had a general idea of what having a child was like but I was never so naive as to think that I knew EXACTLY what i was like. I knew it was just like everything else in the world, ever changing.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2010