Should our Children be Watching TV?

I personally believe NO tv before the age of 2 and limited after. I will admit I made it to 22 months with my DS but even then he watched 1 20 min show a day. The AAof Pediatrics also believes this. I know we all have different opinions and feeling on the subject. Check out the below website...what do you think?

http://www.pbs.org/parents/childrenandmedia/article-faq.html

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think TV can be a great learning tool. Obviously you can't park your kid in front for hours.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• If it is educational I see no reason for them not to get some tv time in. Limiting it is important but I don't think that it is the end of the world. There are some great television shows and sometimes kids learn way more than that then other ways. I homeschool for preschool and I have one little one that just soaks up the television so we make sure we do good shows like Word World and Sid the Science Kid. Is it a replacement for learning no but it can be a great aide.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Our kids watch TV all day, it's always on. When they choose to watch it, it's there for them. I completely disagree with the idea that TV is bad for kids. My kids are active and moving all day, whether or not they have the option for TV... Right now, they are watching PBS, as they usually are. And guess what, it isn't hurting them one bit!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My kids just weren't interested in the tv til they were 2-3. I don't mind if that's a choice some families make, but I don't agree with people wanting their babies to be planted in front of the tv and then get upset when the child isn't interested. I don't allow them to watch all the tv they want, and they don't have one in their bedroom. There are so many other things they can be doing. They average an hour or so, and are 9 and 6.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My son is 21 months old. He doesn't have any shows that he watches every day, but he gets to watch some movies with my husband and me, if they're child appropriate. If there happens to be something on that he really wants to watch, I may let him, depending on what it is. I don't have any hard and fast rules about tv right now. That may change though.
    joeymommy1

Answer by joeymommy1 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My Son has always watched TV. The shows that I selected. He loves Baby Eistein DVD's and they are calm & relaxing and he enjoys the classical music. He has actually learned a lot from TV. Manners from Little Bear for example. I like Oswald, Little Bear, Little Bill, Cat in the Hat, Frannys Feet and Jacks Big Music show. My opinion is that if you select quality shows for them to watch, it can be instructional and entertaining. I don't let him watch shows that are violent or too hyped up. At night he winds down before bed while watching Little Bear on the couch with us and he sleeps soundly.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• it is not the lack of exercise that is the concern...it is the effect on brain development....the interesting thing is it not the visual piece of the tv that is the worst..it's the auditory piece...it disturbs the brain waves and can effect their creativity and intelligence. it also has been proven that educational tv for children under the age of 2 does nothing for them.
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I believe in appropriate and educational TV...Sesame Street, for example. NO TV is pretentious and snobby,IMO.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• i do think NO TV is completely unrealistic but TOO much is inappropriate as well..
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• If I didn't have tv we would never eat dinner and my house would be a bigger disaster than it is. It is the only thing that keeps them sorta quiet so i can get things done. I try to make it educational, but sometimes it is just spongebob.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2010