Drinking nothing but soda while pregnant

What would happen to my unborn baby if I drank pretty much only soda while pregnant? I drink Kool-aid maybe once every 2 or 3 days, or chocolate milk once every 2 or 3 days. I just have to force myself to do it. I only like soda when I'm thirsty so anything else won't quench my thirst. I'M NOT LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO TELL ME I'M HORRIBLE FOR DRINKING ONLY SODA OR PEOPLE TO TELL ME OTHER THINGS I SHOULD BE DRINKING. I ONLY WANT TO KNOW IF ANYTHING BAD WOULD HAPPEN TO THE BABY. IF YOU CAN'T SIMPLY ANSWER THAT QUESTION, THEN JUST LEAVE BECAUSE I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR OPINION ON WHAT I DRINK. To everyone who actually gives me the answers I'm looking for, thank you in advance :) And I'm currently 18 weeks along and so far the baby sounds good at every appointment!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Pop is fine...your baby will be fine! I am NOT a pop drinker but when I was pregnant both times I drank a pop almost daily w/my lunch. I have no clue why I craved it or anything. Both my kids are fine!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Nothing bad will happen because I did the same thing. After each one of mine were born I had a Mountain Dew ready for me.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• since you're anon.. send me a message..i'd rather PM you cause i know how people are on here... :))
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Well you could pass on a caffine addiction to your child. I would guess to that you might put your child more at risk for things like ADHD. I don't know for sure but I think I recall an article of increased risk of childhood disorders - nothing horrible- for mothers who drank X amount of caffine. I would call your doctor to get the full information and risks. You might have a caffine addiction and you can talk ti your doctor about healthy and acceptable ways to decrease caffine and increase your consumption of better liquids. I'm a total caffine addict and hate water so I do hear you.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It's not a healthy thing to do, no. You need to keep hydrated during pregnancy, and soda is not good for that. Also, your baby needs the calcium in milk to grow strong and healthy. The carbonated water in sodas has a negative effect on the calcium level in your body. Also, the sugars in sodas is bad for your blood sugar levels. Sodas also contain empty calories, which could lead to excessive weight gain and the possible complication related to that.

I can't tell you for sure your baby wouldn't come out healthy, since people who smoke during pregnancy can have healthy babies too, BUT... you are increasing your chances of complications. So WOULD something bad happen to your baby? Possibly not. COULD something bad happen to your baby? Yes.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Honestly, nothing is going to happen to your unborn baby because you drink soda. It just isn't a healthy choice for yourself. Just watch your hydration, because sugar actually dehydrates you... And dehydration can lead to pre term labor.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• By the way, I'm not saying a soda every now and then is a bad thing, even if it contains caffeine, but ONLY soda and nothing else? I wouldn't advise it.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• well, it depends on what kind of soda ur drinking. if its low in caffine or caffine free, then u should be fine. but the risk of drinking too much caffine is stunted growth. and i honestly believe that caffine is addictive. so if u drink lots of it, then dont nurse, he/she could go thru some caffine withdrawls. good luck and i hope i didnt sound like i'm judging u bc i am not. i drank lots of dr pepper thru-out my pregnancies
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 2:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm not going to tell you that you're a horrible person at all, but I would try to cut back on the soda as much as possible. The detrimental effects of soda have been proven over and over again, with all the sugar, caffeine, syrups, and colorings it contains. If it's that bad for you, I can't imagine it would be good for your unborn baby. You might consider trying to kick the soda habit whether you're pregnant or not. Good luck to you!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Can you switch to something decaf and slowly taper down and drink juice instead?
    Excess caffeine during pregnancy can stunt your baby's growth. Also, you are much more prone to cavities while pregnant and drinking pop will just make it worse!
    Breaking a pop habit is tough but maybe you will find juice, or gatorade, etc just as refreshing.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2010