So is religion an all-you-can-eat buffet, where you can pick and choose what you like/don't like or skip straight to dessert?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Religious Debate

• laughing

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It seems to me that many Christians do that. They take parts of the Bible and use it to justify their cruelty towards homosexuals, and their attempts to take choice away from women. However, they don't use all parts of the Bible, like those that apply to slaves, stoning a woman who commits adultery, or how a woman on her period is dirty and shouldn't be touched, or something like that. So yes, I do think that many Christians take what they suits them, and leave the rest.
    joeymommy1

Answer by joeymommy1 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Yes, absolutely. Personal beliefs are just that....personal. How that belief speaks to someone; whether in the form of god/goddess'/etc. is entirely up to how that persons' speaks to them.
    I see no problem with someone believing what they encounter in their life, and adding that to their ideals and values. I think that is part of life....learning as we grow. Expanding our minds and hearts and allowing all of that to form our beliefs. They should be ever changing....ever evolving. Eventually maybe then we would all come full circle and meet in the middle:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• If it is, then I'm on a diet.
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Not mine, mine is very clear in its laws. But it's also not all-or-nothing, every little good bit you do counts, even if you sometimes make mistakes and transgress. We're not perfect ,G-d doesn't expect us to be perfect, He just expect us to improve and do our best.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• FSM forbid someone might benefit from the entirety of human existence and experience, or find value outside their own narrow worldview . . .
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I've never heard of it put that way, but it does make sense, doesn't it? I guess the way I look at it, is the Bible is supposed to guide us and be used as a guideline. So I do pick and choose what I feel applies to me and my situation. Granted, I don't think of myself as a very religious or spiritual person but I do label myself as a Christian because I do believe in the main teachings. Does that make sense?
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• sure why not...id rather it be an all you can eat buffet than a fancy strict 6 course meal of foods i hate.

now who gets to decide whats on the buffet and who gets to chose whats dessert and whats not? is that your job? or is that the job of the person who's actually eating the food?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• It's not supposed to be but sadly it is that way for many..and for many religions. I try to stick to the bible as close as I can and to be a true and faithful servant and follower of Christ.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 4:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• ""Master Chef" implies a singular being - not plural in number or in options."

so your interpretation of the Master Chef or mine? do i have to follow what you think the Master Chef is cooking or what you think is the menu? cause honestly, none of us really know what He's cooking...all you can do is smell around and take a guess.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2010