How did you quit smoking?

I need to quit and I want to quit so bad! But its difficult so if you have quit smoking, how did you do it?

onemellowmom

Asked by onemellowmom at 2:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2010 in Health

• Cold turkey. Ate a lot of sunflower seeds and ice! lol Oh and gum. It sucked for a few weeks, but it was worth it, because a week after I quit I found out I was pregnant, so I think that helped me stay non smoking (Since I won't smoke while pregnant) Now I just have to hope that after the baby is born, I can stay non smoking!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I got pregnant and I just up and quit. Although most people have a much harder time with it. My DH has been trying to quit for many years and finally he just gave up and started chewing instead. Gross, I know, but cheaper.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I quit while I was pregnant...but started again when he was 4 months old because I thought I was going to explode... then I tried again with the patch, the gum.. then my husband got skin cancer and although not "serious" cancer runs very thick in our family and the shock of neither one of us being around to raise our son was torture enough.. i has been a year this month and no lie, its hard and I still talk myself out of buying them at the store each time I have to go there ( every other day ) i have yet to find that "outlet" smoking gave me when I get upset or nervous or to use as a crutch.. I don't have advice as I tried for MANY years before this attempt.. good luck!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I tried quitting cold turkey many times, and it just didn't work for me. The only thing that worked was the patch, along with various things to focus my "oral fixation" on, heh. Even with the patch, I'd sometimes want one, just out of habit (like after eating, for example). I bought a bag of lollipops and have one of those, instead. It still wasn't easy, but it worked!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• My neighbor took the pill that's all over TV. It starts with a "C" but I cannot remember the name right now. Sorry.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 9:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I quit cold turkey. I just picked a day about a month away and when that day came around, that was it. I haven't touched a cigarette since 10/01/05.
    mamaoftwins9197

Answer by mamaoftwins9197 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2010